wheelrite
11 years ago

NK +2

No sleep again last night. Felt fine until around midnight. Lot of gas and nausea.

Around 0200, nurse removes my knee drain. Was not expecting that. Didn’t like the pull, turn or turn, pull thing she did. Not pleasant!

Have completely hit a wall. Gas and nausea are much worse. Passing fluids, but no BM since Sun night.

PT same as day before, except knee drain hole bled through bandage when they got me up for the morning stroll. All bandages and support hose and socks had to be changed.
Unable to eat anything all day. Did consume small amounts of water and ginger ale throughout the day.

Began feeling discomfort in the affected knee. At my request, nurse increased the femoral block setting from 8 to 10. This seemed to help the pain level.

Femoral blocked will be removed in the morning.

Burner02 wrote:




Keep your head up Bro,,,

The worst days are almost past.

Btw,
The Nerve Block thing is a life saver. Mine lasted for about 3 days. And, removing it is no big deal..


Get well soon..

wheel,,
madspackler
11 years ago

I'm doing ok and thread updates are about a week behind.


You decided on how many points you are giving me this year?

🌫

Burner02 wrote:



Lets determine the points spread after this weekend. Depending upon who is healthy on each side - it may be straight up except the game is in T-town giving an edge to the Elephants.

This is my son's Senior year - and he will actually graduate in four so he is out of there in the spring and hopefully off the payroll supporting himself.

Aging a few with the game in mind - in case I need to ante up again.

Hope your knee is better fast and soon. Take care.
delta1
11 years ago

I'm doing ok and thread updates are about a week behind.


You decided on how many points you are giving me this year?

🌫

Burner02 wrote:



This is a good sign. Do the PT, ice and elevation. Walk as much as you can.
Burner02
11 years ago
NK +3 (11/06/14)

It is get to go home day and I don’t feel that great. Still tons of gas and nausea feeling.

Nurse disconnects femoral block around 0200. No big deal, not nearly as much fun as having the drain tube removed.

I’m able to eat a little for breakfast, first food intake in two days.

PT drops in and takes me for my last trip on the floor. Good deal of swelling in the knee but have seen worse.

Receive final instructions, scripts for pain meds and blood thinner. Should have asked for nausea script, but did not. Next visit to surgeon is Nov 25, and I’m to use walker and can’t drive until then.

Arrive home around 1330. First order of business is to shower and get in bed.

Not able to eat other than what I had for breakfast. Trip home and shower took a lot out of me. Really feel like crap, still tons of gas and nausea feeling. NO BM IN SIX DAYS!
Burner02
11 years ago
NK +4 (11/07/14)

I was unable to rest during the night. Due more to the nausea feeling and gas than knee pain. My stomach is hard as a rock.
Still cannot eat solid food, surviving on water, ginger ale and crackers.

Mid morning, in home nurse drops by to give me the once over. She indicates that everything looks good except I do have significant swelling in the knee. She will be by the house two – three time a week until I visit the surgeon on Nov 25.

A couple of hours later, in home PT rep pays a visit. She puts me through a light workout and sets my goals for a successful recovery. My mission is to achieve 0 degrees at full extension and 110 degrees at full bend. Currently at 3 degrees (not bad) and 81 degrees (got some work to do). PT rep will pay me a visit five days a week for the next three weeks. Glad to see her leave!

Both nurse and PT rep stressed keeping the leg elevated as much as possible. Nurse also made some recommendations to help with the nausea and NO BM. Rec included taking stool softeners and Milk of Magnesia both of which I added to my daily routine.

Back to bed for ice therapy with leg elevated.
mikey1597
11 years ago
Hang in there Bro, it'll get better. Take the advise of the stool softeners, the longer it takes to poop the harder it will be to push the musket ball out your poopshoot.
delta1
11 years ago
I still have half a bottle of Milk of Magnesia in the medicine cabinet. That's all it took, after trying several stool softener suppositories and oral meds. Almost forgot about the blood thinner. Hated the first few self-injections. Looks like you're doing great, Burner.
propeller
11 years ago
Good luck, bro!

And trust me......Miralax!
Buckwheat
11 years ago

Around 0200, nurse removes my knee drain. Was not expecting that. Didn’t like the pull, turn or turn, pull thing she did. Not pleasant!

Burner02 wrote:



+1

When they removed my drain tube from my brain surgery it wouldn't budge. So they yanked on it and when it finally came out it spewed a lot of the blood and other "drainage" all over me and the doctor. Did hurt too much but everyone was pretty grossed out. I envisioned my wife and mom "selling the Buick" after that wonderful event. 🍺

https://www.cigarbid.com/FORUM/c/posts/635629/Its-not-how-many-cigars-you-have- 
Burner02
11 years ago

+1

When they removed my drain tube from my brain surgery it wouldn't budge. So they yanked on it and when it finally came out it spewed a lot of the blood and other "drainage" all over me and the doctor. Did hurt too much but everyone was pretty grossed out. I envisioned my wife and mom "selling the Buick" after that wonderful event. 🍺

https://www.cigarbid.com/FORUM/c/posts/635629/Its-not-how-many-cigars-you-have- 

Buckwheat wrote:




Guess my situation is not to bad.
wheelrite
11 years ago

Guess my situation is not to bad.

Burner02 wrote:



It will get better bro,,,
Feel fortunate that your's is a planned out scheme with the Docs knowing how it will likely end...


Take care,

wheel,,

MACS
11 years ago
If the milk of magnesia doesn't work (it prolly will) ask for magnesium citrate and then make sure you just stay on the can for 5 hours because you'll be sh*tting your brains out.
teedubbya
11 years ago
I think you need a brand new husky puppy
MACS
11 years ago

I think you need a brand new husky puppy

teedubbya wrote:



I think teedub wants to take you camping... you're gimpy and can't run.
teedubbya
11 years ago
Burner02
11 years ago

I think you need a brand new husky puppy

teedubbya wrote:





Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Burner02
11 years ago
NK +5 - +6 (11/08 – 11/09/14)

During the night, reduced pain pills from two every 6 hours to one every 4 hours. Seems to be staying in front of the pain.

Woke up feeling awful, tons of gas and nausea. Still can’t eat and no BM.

Wife puts me through a couple of light PT sessions during the day. She seems to be enjoying the power and my pain just a bit much.

Finally, have BM on Sun morning. Now know why Wheel was so happy after having his first BM after his ankle/leg surgery.

Even after the BM, I still feel like crap. Gas and nausea still alive and well.

I do my PT twice during the day.

By late afternoon, really feeling awful. My wife contacts the in home nurse for recommendations. Before sending me to the ER, she had my wife go to Walgreen’s and purchase a bottle of Emetrol. Emetrol, which I had never heard of, is an over the counter product for nausea. Once I had the Emetrol in hand, I took three doses fairly quickly. Almost immediately, my stomach started to settle down.
Burner02
11 years ago
NK +7 - +11 (11/10– 11/14/14)

I wake up feeling decent this A.M. Able to eat my first meal in four days, still have some gas but no more nausea. Emetrol is great stuff! Think I have turned the corner.

Mon morning set the tone for the next five days.

I’m eating three meals a day and doing PT two to three times a day. Once a day is with a therapist and the remaining times with my wife cracking the whip.

Still keeping the leg elevated around the clock and doing ice therapy often.

BM’s have increased and I stopped taking the stool softeners and MOM on Fri, 11/14.

After last therapy session on 11/14, I had 95 degree knee bend and 1 degree extension. A gain of 9 degrees of bend in 5 days. Still have work to do! Therapist has allowed me to begin using a cane around the house, but must use the walker if I leave the house.

I have now stepped my pain pills back to one every five hours. I tried one every six hours but it was not getting the job done.
mikey1597
11 years ago
It's amazing how when you go thru something like this you go from flat on your back and cant eat or schitt to DAMN I feel better!
jackconrad
11 years ago
Kinda like when you go on a bender ,,..
Users browsing this topic