Getting back to the OP's question. I have had several of the GH's from samplers and gifts and even bought a bunch 2002's for a canoe trip. Haven't purchased any recently but here is my take:
The 2002 are a good solid pool/yard/camping/fishing type of cigar. Nice flavor, doesn't last super long but burns well and, if it gets wet or have to toss it out early, no great loss. Spicy start that becomes more savory. They go cheap here sometimes and also specials on the various web sites with free shipping. They are good cigars to hand out to inexperienced smokers as well at parties, poker games and the like, since not too strong and burn easy. Also the cedar sleeve looks cool to people. Even with shipping, if patient (or if you can combine shipping with another order of things you are going to buy anyway), possible to get them for around $2 per stick.
I did not like the SLS's I got in some sampler a while back. No flavor and burned way uneven.
The Connecticut: mild and lots of smoke but mostly "meh" not a big deal.
The Azteca was horrible. Reminded me of the worst cigar I have ever had which was a watch-while-they-make-them fresh rolled disaster I bought in Mexico. Harsh, bitter, nasty!
Reading others comments, with GH's, consistency seems to be an issue. There is chance to get a stinker or two even with a bunch you usually like. Indeed, I have seen people say they like the SLS so maybe I just got unlucky.
So, for me, I will likely get a bundle of the 2002's for the next party I have where I know there will be a need to hand some out or when going on the lake or river trip. But, as others have mentioned, you CAN do a lot better for just a bit more. Keep in mind length of smokable burn is an issue especially if you are having a leisurely evening smoke. You can find cigars for only a little more that burn almost twice as long as the cheaper stick. It's the VALUE baby!
Even though it WILL get you a few klunkers, I would shell out for a couple different style samplers and take notes as to not only which ones you liked and didn't like but what types of tobacco, sizes, and styles you do or don't care for - all of that info is on the web sites. Then you can better look around here to see what is a bargain.
Good Luck
Edited by user
11 years ago |
Reason: Not specified