DrMaddVibe
9 years ago
First openly gay NFL player shares story

Michael Sam says he always felt like outsider

Former NFL player Michael Sam said he always felt like an outsider — the deaths of two older brothers, the bullying he endured by other family members and even his mother's religion, Jehovah's Witness, made him feel apart from his peers. But nothing made him feel more like an outsider than being gay in the NFL.

"I had to prove myself, to show that I was one of the guys," said Sam, who spoke Tuesday night as part of Sexuality Month at the University at Albany. "I was cut from the Rams, even though I was in the top five in sacks. Then I went to the Cowboys and had to do it all over again. And then I was cut there. I always felt like an outsider looking in."
Sam assured the few hundred students who came to hear him in the Campus Center that "everything happens for a reason."

The difficult childhood and NFL disappointment led him to become a motivational speaker urging others to be true to themselves.

"When I came out to the world on Feb. 9, 2014, I got tons of emails from people telling me how they were condemned for their sexuality," said Sam. "It made me sad and angry. I spoke to one girl who told me that because I came out, she didn't commit suicide. I was speechless."

After high school in Hitchcock, Texas, Sam, a defensive end, was recruited to play for the University of Missouri. Named an All-American and Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year as a senior, he expected to be drafted in the second or third round of the 2014 draft. But his prospects plummeted the day after he announced he was gay. He wasn't drafted until the seventh round for the St. Louis Rams.

"When I was drafted I thought the headline would be 'NFL has first openly gay player,' but instead it was 'Sam kisses boyfriend.' Should I have kissed a girl? The media made it a distraction."

He said it was also difficult that he, as a rookie, garnered constant media attention.

"I'm still baffled," said Sam. "I thought it would be a story for two weeks and then it would go away."
Sam remains wary of the media. He refused interviews with the local press and stopped his talk to ask the television crews to turn off their cameras.

The attention and what he believes is the sports' discomfort with homosexuality ultimately destroyed his career. After being cut from the Rams and then waived by the Dallas Cowboys, he joined the Montreal Alouettes in the Canadian Football League. That stint didn't last either. He said he left preseason camp for personal reasons.

"I tried to earn their trust, make them believe I belonged," said Sam. "Now I speak from the heart."




"Quitters never win and winners never quit." - Vince Lombardi

I had that quote beat into my skull by a high school coach. He was right. If you quit on yourself, your team will suffer. When you quit on a team...you're NOTHING!

Um....by all scouting reports and from your own playing...He wasn't THAT good! It has NOTHING to do with being gay. He might've been selected as the 1st openly gay player...but if you think he's the only one and want to sob about it after all this time? Take up needlepoint Francis.
jjanecka
9 years ago
What about all the gays that played in NFL that played in secret. I mean it's a man's sport there had to be a ton of them.
jjanecka
9 years ago
Seriously though, yet another victim from the bleeding heart liberal propaganda machine.
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

What about all the gays that played in NFL that played in secret. I mean it's a man's sport there had to be a ton of them.

jjanecka wrote:



They didn't quit.

I'm not saying it's not difficult, but he's a quitter looking for a sympathy pay day he's not willing to earn

Abrignac
9 years ago
Just another never will be trying be relevant when he's not.
frankj1
9 years ago

What about all the gays that played in NFL that played in secret. I mean it's a man's sport there had to be a ton of them.

jjanecka wrote:


Dave Kopay, a run of the mill back, and the 'Skins star TE Smith (who died a few years ago) to name two that were known...
KingoftheCove
9 years ago
I heard Aaron Rogers was going to come out had the Packers won the Super Bowl.
Now we'll just have to wait...










Wheel
JadeRose
9 years ago
I argued with my wife over this. She insisted that he wasn't making it in the NFL because he is gay. I, of course, said Bullsh*t. If he was a great football player, he'd be playing and the owners and coaches would tell anyone that had a problem with it to hit the f*cking road. But he couldn't play so he didn't last. End of story.
DrafterX
9 years ago

I argued with my wife over this. She insisted that he wasn't making it in the NFL because he is gay. I, of course, said Bullsh*t. If he was a great football player, he'd be playing and the owners and coaches would tell anyone that had a problem with it to hit the f*cking road. But he couldn't play so he didn't last. End of story.

JadeRose wrote:




I bet you went thru a couple boxes of Kleenex making that determination... 😟
dstieger
9 years ago
Sexuality Month at University of Albany? What the hell is that?



Everything happens for a reason....I so hate that saying....The motto of blame shedders everywhere


I know nothing about the guy beyond what's written above. But, I'm just wondering out loud.....IF the guy is an NFL starter quality player (physically, instincts, etc.).....but, IF the distractions of his coming out hurt team chemistry significantly.....then...should a gay player stay in the closet? If he comes out and the team suffers...is it his fault? The other players'? The coaches for not getting the team past it? Just speculating that maybe life sucks.....and the reason this happens is ....that you're different...here's your trophy and a copy of Rosie Grier's needlepoint book....buh bye? ???
TMCTLT
9 years ago

I argued with my wife over this. She insisted that he wasn't making it in the NFL because he is gay. I, of course, said Bullsh*t. If he was a great football player, he'd be playing and the owners and coaches would tell anyone that had a problem with it to hit the f*cking road. But he couldn't play so he didn't last. End of story.

JadeRose wrote:





THIS^^^^ He was unfortunately USING his open gayness?? to try to further his otherwise MEDIOCRE career and it BACKFIRED!!!

The NFL was being USED by this clown to further the whole Gay Agenda and to give it a larger national voice. When if ever will they learn that this is ONE BUSH got right....IMHO


DON'T ASK....DON'T TELL.....NO ONE needs to know your sexual preference but YOUR LOVER
frankj1
9 years ago
Well, he wasn't even a mediocre NFL player, he didn't get past the level of inactive for games...but he was another superb College player who just didn't have the makings for the pro game.

To deny that he is a fine athlete is to be blind, and being just a notch below the level required to make it in the NFL is still pretty good...

TMCTLT
9 years ago

Well, he wasn't even a mediocre NFL player, he didn't get past the level of inactive for games...but he was another superb College player who just didn't have the makings for the pro game.

To deny that he is a fine athlete is to be blind, and being just a notch below the level required to make it in the NFL is still pretty good...

frankj1 wrote:




So....he just wants his Trophy????
frankj1
9 years ago

So....he just wants his Trophy????

TMCTLT wrote:


HA!
probably has many. the kid was really good in college so I assume he was a huge high school star in his state, like lots of others who just aren't quite NFL stock.

Hey, before he came out, wasn't he something like Player of the Year in a pretty rugged conference?
teedubbya
9 years ago
He's about like Tebow
TMCTLT
9 years ago

HA!
probably has many. the kid was really good in college so I assume he was a huge high school star in his state, like lots of others who just aren't quite NFL stock.

Hey, before he said he preferred D*ck, wasn't he something like Player of the Year in a petty rugby conference?

frankj1 wrote:




I admit...I just don't know and Don't want to know that much about him....but I'm guessin Victor knows more :-"
delta1
9 years ago
I heard zrx say he was too small...
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago

He's about like Tebow

teedubbya wrote:




Excatly like Tebow...except Timmy is still in the closet.
teedubbya
9 years ago
And some still think tebow has superpowers while sams has thuperpowers.
opelmanta1900
9 years ago
It's 'thuper powerth' you inthenthitive athhole...
Users browsing this topic