SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago
Tonight ...

I think we oughta make the switch tonight, but then skip the "Fall Back" in November ...
MACS
9 years ago

Tonight ...

I think we oughta make the switch tonight, but then skip the "Fall Back" in November ...

SteveS wrote:



Agreed. Leave it the hell alone!

Going on an all day fishing charter tomorrow, fishing Catalina Island. Dana Point Wharf is an hour away, and the boat leaves at 5am... So I gotta get up at 2am, which turns to 3am, and get my ass on the road.

We BETTER catch some damn fish... [ram27bat]
dharbolt
9 years ago
I hate daylight savings. Messes me up for days. It's nice not having sun set at 6pm though
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
It is the worst for our kids. Puts them on all sort of a crazy schedule which means less sleep for us.
jespear
9 years ago
When told the reason for Daylight Savings time, the old Indian Chief said . . .

"Only the government would believe you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."
frankj1
9 years ago

When told the reason for Daylight Savings time, the old Indian Chief said . . .

"Only the government would believe you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."

jespear wrote:


love it...may I quote you?
jjanecka
9 years ago
Clearly none of yall have ever farmed which is why we do the time change in the first place.
tailgater
9 years ago

Clearly none of yall have ever farmed which is why we do the time change in the first place.

jjanecka wrote:



I blame Big Farma!

frankj1
9 years ago

I blame Big Farma!

tailgater wrote:


you seem reenergized. where did ya go skiing?
8trackdisco
9 years ago
Germany became the first country to introduce DST when clocks were turned ahead 1 hour on April 30, 1916. The rationale was to minimize the use of artificial lighting in order to save fuel for the war effort during World War I.
The idea was quickly followed by the United Kingdom and many other countries, including France. Many countries reverted back to standard time after World War I, and it wasn’t until the next World War that DST made its return in most of Europe.

shaun341
9 years ago
I didn't even get the extra hour sleep this year, was in Scottsdale and they don't recognize DST or at least that is what I was told never looked further into it.
SteveS
  • SteveS
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
9 years ago

love it...may I quote you?

frankj1 wrote:



I first heard that almost 50 years ago and it still sounds good ...
frankj1
9 years ago

I first heard that almost 50 years ago and it still sounds good ...

SteveS wrote:


I'm 63 and somehow this got by me.
RobertHively
9 years ago

When told the reason for Daylight Savings time, the old Indian Chief said . . .

"Only the government would believe you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket."

jespear wrote:



Lol! So true
delta1
9 years ago
In keeping with most of the stuff the US Govt told the Indians...
tailgater
9 years ago

I'm 63 and somehow this got by me.

frankj1 wrote:



Am I the only one who sees the irony in this logic?

tailgater
9 years ago

you seem reenergized. where did ya go skiing?

frankj1 wrote:



Pico.

Had a blast.
frankj1
9 years ago

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this logic?

tailgater wrote:


I'm still 63. My eyesight is worsening.
Whistlebritches
9 years ago
We have two bills moving through the Texas House to eliminate DST.If it passes Hawaii and Arizona will have a new partner in common sense........at least on this issue.
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

Clearly none of yall have ever farmed which is why we do the time change in the first place.

jjanecka wrote:



Grew up on a farm and still live in the community.The old DST is to help the farmer is nothing but a myth.

Many of us heard, at some point in elementary school, that DST was developed because of farming. The idea that more daylight means more time in the field for farmers continues to get airtime on the occasional local news report and in state legislatures — “Farmers wanted it because it extends hours of working in the field,” Texas state Rep. Dan Flynn offered after filing a bill that would abolish DST. Even Michael Downing, who wrote a book about DST, has said that before researching the subject, “I always thought we did it for the farmers.”

In fact, the inverse is true. “The farmers were the reason we never had a peacetime daylight saving time until 1966,” Downing told National Geographic. “They had a powerful lobby and were against it vociferously.” The lost hour of morning light meant they had to rush to get their crops to market. Dairy farmers were particularly flummoxed: Cows adjust to schedule shifts rather poorly, apparently.
Users browsing this topic