JGKAMIN
3 years ago

I like quoting somebody but changing the actual words.

ZRX1200 wrote:


#-o
tonygraz
3 years ago

Gurkha putting any new stuff out that’s worthy tony?

Jakethesnake86 wrote:



Not that I know of, but I haven't been trying them in the last year or so. Leebot got the 125th right.
corey sellers
3 years ago
Tony probably has some decent Gurkhas. I don't think they every made them while i bought them. Widow makers and war pigs are the 2 I remember.
tonygraz
3 years ago
I had some Copper Labels, but I may have smoked them all. I still have a few Ancient Warrior presidentes, but I don't now if they are the good ones. I still have a handful or two of the Black Dragon Nublizers which are good but mostly one dimensional. Might have a Ghost or two. Anything else is forgetable and probably yard gar status.

The widow makers and bellicoso Warpigs were decent when they first came out, but they went downhill soon after.

Just checked the spreadsheet and I should have a few recent 5rs somewhere in storage.
ZRX1200
3 years ago

#metoo

JGKAMIN wrote:


Sunoverbeach
3 years ago
“Gurkha Currently Has Over 105 Brands But Is Still Considered A Boutique Cigar Manufacturer”

They use that word. I do not think it means what they think it means.

Tiver
3 years ago
Hey there Mraia

From what these guys have to say it seems almost a certainty that you can't count on Gurkha. I had a few from sampler bundles a few years ago. Even though I wasn't even a casual smoker they didn't bring anything to the table that made me think I would move to buying any on purpose.

Well a couple months ago I was taken by the ad copy and bought some Beauties. Read the copy and you would believe the world would surely be a miserable place without the existence of the Gurkha Beauty. Seemed like a deal for such an incredible smoke. Smoked one. It's a pretty lightweight stick for being as large as it is. Really loosely rolled. The draw was like a hurricane through a screen door. It smoked really fast, but not hot. Still, I decided it was probably too dry and only smoked half. I will wait a for while to try another once the moisture settles upward. I don't have high hopes, but the first one did not offend me at the time.

Everything I've picked up on Gurkha would suggest it's much more of a brand than a cigar. They seem to do the branding thing pretty well.
Mraia
  • Mraia
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
3 years ago

Hey there Mraia

From what these guys have to say it seems almost a certainty that you can't count on Gurkha. I had a few from sampler bundles a few years ago. Even though I wasn't even a casual smoker they didn't bring anything to the table that made me think I would move to buying any on purpose.

Well a couple months ago I was taken by the ad copy and bought some Beauties. Read the copy and you would believe the world would surely be a miserable place without the existence of the Gurkha Beauty. Seemed like a deal for such an incredible smoke. Smoked one. It's a pretty lightweight stick for being as large as it is. Really loosely rolled. The draw was like a hurricane through a screen door. It smoked really fast, but not hot. Still, I decided it was probably too dry and only smoked half. I will wait a for while to try another once the moisture settles upward. I don't have high hopes, but the first one did not offend me at the time.

Everything I've picked up on Gurkha would suggest it's much more of a brand than a cigar. They seem to do the branding thing pretty well.

Tiver wrote:



Yup that seems to be the consensus. I actually tried one, maybe a year ago. I dont know what it was, and I dont even remember how I got it (sampler maybe?). Anyway, it was unremarkable. To be sure, I didnt find anything wrong with it, but that may be due to
1. My unsophisticated palate
2. I got a good one
3. It sucked and I just didnt realize it.

Either way, Im probably going to avoid them.
Huzza3045
3 years ago
My palate is pretty unsophisticated as well. It’s possible that my earlier recommendations were garbage. I just know “smooth smoke”, “spicy smoke”, “leather smoke”, and “mild smoke”.
Stogie1020
3 years ago

My palate is pretty unsophisticated as well. It’s possible that my earlier recommendations were garbage. I just know “smooth smoke”, “spicy smoke”, “leather smoke”, and “mild smoke”.

Huzza3045 wrote:


If you have smoked a Gurkah in the last few years, you also know "Crappy smoke"...
tonygraz
3 years ago
Smoked a Gurkha Nicaragua series toro today while doing yard work, I think it's a fairly new variety and it was only a month ago I bought it. Fairly strong and no noticeable flavor . have one that is 3 months old .that I will try next when I find it. I'm guessing it was just a mediocre yard gar but not a dog rocket.
Palama
3 years ago

My palate is pretty unsophisticated as well. It’s possible that my earlier recommendations were garbage. I just know “smooth smoke”, “spicy smoke”, “leather smoke”, and “mild smoke”.

Huzza3045 wrote:



For the most part mine is too; however, by midway-ish through a new (…to me…) cigar, here’s how I rate them these days:

- Love it! Will definitely buy. A box is not out of the question but a couple of 5ers fo’ sure. These will be in the regular rotation.

- Like it. Will look for a good deal and buy a 5er. Maybe more rest will elevate them?

- Not bad and might buy some but only iffin’ I come across a frankin’ great deal.

- Hmm, it’s smokeable and not terrible but won’t be looking to get any.

- Blah! Rather disappointing. What other cigar can I smoke that will save the night?


Abrignac
3 years ago

I know there is much hate for Gurkhas. I think I know that there was some shady business at one point though Im not sure what thats all about.
But are these things as bad as people say? are they all irredeemable? Theres a LOT of them around here, and the few that I have had have for the most part been ok, or not objectionable. SOMEONE IS BUYING THESE THINGS! And enjoying them.
So Im just curious what about them illicits such disdain.

Please note Im not advocating for them. Im simply curious why they seem to be disliked so intently.

Thanks all. 😕

Mraia wrote:



Jeez this isn’t rocket science.

Anytime a vast majority of a company’s product is deeply discounted that should be a signal that it’s so crappy they have to give it away to move it off the shelves.
Abrignac
3 years ago

I bought a 5ver of the 125th Anniversary Gurkhas. Holy Ch*t were they terrible! I saw that it had made a top 25 list 10 years ago or so, and I thought "maybe they've kept the blend up. Success breeds success and all. Surely they wouldn't take a top 25 mention and squander it by letting the blend reduce to goose ch*t. That would be a terrible business model." But they did. I gave one to Tele as a gag with a 10er I sent him. He stopped posting here soon thereafter.

Maybe I'll send one to Jake next. He's a tough guy.

On the Chairman Select Huzza mentioned, I believe you. It could be a difference in taste or that you got a bad batch (ref: inconsistency). I got a ten pack a couple years ago now, and they were decent. If I had any faith that the next batch would taste the same, I might consider another 5. But I lack faith.

LeeBot wrote:



The Chairman Select is their flagship product. Got a bad batch? What reputable manufacturer let’s that in the supply chain of their best product?
tonygraz
3 years ago
I've smoked the Chairman Select and thought it was not even a good yard gar.
Abrignac
3 years ago

I've smoked the Chairman Select and thought it was not even a good yard gar.

tonygraz wrote:



Isn’t that the one Clinton used to smoke? I guess yours didn’t taste like cat?
tonygraz
3 years ago
Clinton smoked one of the infused cognac $ 1000 a tubo cigars. My cigar didn't taste like cat (tho that might have made it taste better).
KingoftheCove
3 years ago
Geez……….this isn’t that hard to understand.
Gurkhas suck azz.
Hansotia is a tool.

Its quite simple really…
Palama
3 years ago

Geez……….this isn’t that hard to understand.
Gurkhas suck azz.
Hansotia is a tool.

Its quite simple really…

KingoftheCove wrote:



The King has spoken! 🌫
JGKAMIN
3 years ago
Yesterdays 76% off topped by todays 87% off…not sure why an “ultra-premium” needs to do discounts while many true premiums sell far over their MSRP. 😰

Tasty Gurkha handmades as little as $2/cigar. Hell. Yes.

This is it, the countdown is over! Our annual Gurkha Big Bundle Bonanza is back. More bloated than a beached whale, this year's lineup contains 25 of Gurkha's biggest, shiniest brands, up to 87% off (gasp!). Choose from favorites like Symphony, Centurian, 125th Anniversary, Crest, Sherpa and more, all on the table for as little as $2 per cigar. I even threw a few samplers in the mix. Over 25 generously-sized, delicious options in play. The Gurkha cigars you want, need, and crave are available for the next 7 days in heavily discounted 10-35 count bundles.

Users browsing this topic