teedubbya
10 years ago
Mattie yes.

We all view life through our filter. There are many folks that don't drive (think inner city or students) and many don't have ids. Student ids have specifically been excluded even from state institutions.

This whole thing is a solution looking for a problem.
ZRX1200
10 years ago
How do they fly, buy booze, get passports, pick up kids from daycare........yeah look I can do that too straw man.
DrafterX
10 years ago
I was wondering that too Z.... but it comes down to having the capability to vote more than once shall not be infringed.... 😟
Speyside
10 years ago
In Milwaukee the Dems bus people to register, and then they bus them to vote. Why can't they bus them to get a state id, and pay for it too?
DrafterX
10 years ago
because then they can only vote once... or somebody else won't be able to go vote for them is the more likely scenario.. 😟
ZRX1200
10 years ago
I love how some (not teedubya) think voter ID is a poll tax yet gun buyers paying for a background check that's ok.....

Politicians have killed more people than US domestic gun owning citizens ever will.
DrafterX
10 years ago
Didn't even think about the incarcerated or felons... I bet they're still on the voters lists... pretty much anyone could vote in their place... 🤔
Covfireman
10 years ago
I just move to Nevada my drivers license cost me about $110 by the time I obtained everything I needed a certified copy of my birth certificate $25 to the state of Virginia , the rest in fees and required taxes here and $25 was in fees for endorsements . To make it fair I'll eliminate the the endorsement fees , a person with no probably wouldn't need any , so say $85 initially and I think just $24 and 19 for seniors . Just an ID would have been @$22 and half for seniors renewal is about half plus the cost of original documents if you don't have them . *

The voter I'd adversely effects minorities, seniors and the poor . The majority of the disenfranchised are from the rural South the same states the we're under supervision of the DOJ for similar laws . The laws just expired recently and there was another supreme court ruling that struck down other restraints on against voter registration suppression. Most of the disenfranchised would have been historically democratic voters . I doubt the Democrats really care about these people other than getting their votes . .





* I may be a bit off on my costs I'm just going from memory at my age that may be faulty
Covfireman
10 years ago
AZ has a drivers lisence that's good for life you pay for it once . The funny thing is it's not a "real Id" meaning it doesn't fit the federal government standard for possitive I'd that one that AZ has does cost $20 every 4 or 5 year . *


* I may be a bit off on my costs I'm just going from memory at my age that may be faulty
tailgater
10 years ago

I just move to Nevada my drivers license cost me about $110 by the time I obtained everything I needed a certified copy of my birth certificate $25 to the state of Virginia , the rest in fees and required taxes here and $25 was in fees for endorsements . To make it fair I'll eliminate the the endorsement fees , a person with no probably wouldn't need any , so say $85 initially and I think just $24 and 19 for seniors . Just an ID would have been @$22 and half for seniors renewal is about half plus the cost of original documents if you don't have them .

The voter I'd adversely effects minorities, seniors and the poor . The majority of the disenfranchised are from the rural South the same states the we're under supervision of the DOJ for similar laws . The laws just expired recently and there was another supreme court ruling that struck down other restraints on against voter registration suppression. Most of the disenfranchised would have been historically democratic voters . I doubt the Democrats really care about these people other than getting their votes . .

Covfireman wrote:



So there's a whole population of "democrat" voters in the predominantly RED states of the rural south, who have no formal ID and would therefore be subjected to the cost outlay you've described above.
Is that what you believe?
Or want us to believe?

OK.
Let's pretend you're correct.

Why are there so many minorities, seniors and poor people without ID's of ANY form? And how do they cash their checks or collect benefits?

Tell them they can't play KENO or Lotto until they have an ID and this wouldn't be a problem at all.

victor809
10 years ago
Mattie... What's wrong with my post? Seems kinda on par with most of this board?
DrafterX
10 years ago
I think we could offer them free IDs, transportation to go get it, an Obama-phone and free Obama-nets and someone would argue that we're infringing on their right to vote... they don't want an error free voting booth.. even tho it's not a problem... 😟
victor809
10 years ago
Tail.... None of it is that easy.

Heck, I just moved. I'm employed, have more money than time. Even after a few weeks, I still haven't had the time to figure out what I need to do to get my polling place changed to my new address. Heck, I've got to go to the DMV to get my vehicle registration changed to the new address so I can park on the street without being ticketed and I simply haven't been able to find the time. And I'm supposed to be in the class of people who have flexible schedules and arent negatively impacted by these things. I imagine someone who can't afford to take a few hours from work, or who's work won't allow them to do that might have trouble.

Life is hard all around, I know. And I don't really care about any of the people you want to make life harder for. I just don't see the point in enacting more regulations to fix something that isn't broken. Unless there are other reasons for doing this....
teedubbya
10 years ago
Not everyone flys. You'd be suprised how many never have. People with resources fly.

Not everyone buys booze and it is possible to buy without an id. I show my teets.

A passport IS a government ID suitable for voting purposes. I just got my first one recently. Never had the need.

Not everyone has kids and if those not all use day care and all of the day cares require ID.

Shrug. There are folks without IDs. I know some. Whether they should or not is another issue. But they don't. They just don't.
teedubbya
10 years ago
I don't feel strongly about it and don't really care if the poor, elderly or students can vote easily or not. I'm just not much for new laws or requirements just because it feels good. If a problem is presented and it's worthy of a solution I'm in.

I've not seen a problem proven. Just a solution.
teedubbya
10 years ago
By the way neither of my grandmothers had a valid ID for the last 20 or more years of their lives.
DrafterX
10 years ago
Had it been required to vote would you have assisted them in getting one..?? 😕
dstieger
10 years ago
https://www.co.sauk.wi.us/adrcpage/driver-license-and-voter-id-locations 

Driver License and Voter Id Locations
Sauk County DMV Locations
Sauk City Service Center - Driver License/ID Renewal Office
Community Center
730 Monroe St
Sauk City, WI 53583

Hours: 8:00 am - 4:15 pm - Fifth Wednesday of any month
teedubbya
10 years ago
Drafter I'm sure someone would have. I wouldn't have. Not enough time with them unfortunately and the time spent was usually weekends or off hours.

I'm ok with id requirements, I'm just not all that fired up about it given how small the issue is. I'm thinking the leaders that whoop this up may have agenda. Wonder what it is?
tailgater
10 years ago

Tail.... None of it is that easy.

Heck, I just moved. I'm employed, have more money than time. Even after a few weeks, I still haven't had the time to figure out what I need to do to get my polling place changed to my new address. Heck, I've got to go to the DMV to get my vehicle registration changed to the new address so I can park on the street without being ticketed and I simply haven't been able to find the time. And I'm supposed to be in the class of people who have flexible schedules and arent negatively impacted by these things. I imagine someone who can't afford to take a few hours from work, or who's work won't allow them to do that might have trouble.

Life is hard all around, I know. And I don't really care about any of the people you want to make life harder for. I just don't see the point in enacting more regulations to fix something that isn't broken. Unless there are other reasons for doing this....

victor809 wrote:



How much would it have cost you if you DIDN'T move?



Thought so.




Users browsing this topic