Mraia
  • Mraia
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
3 years ago
I have an unopened Cedar Fresh Hang Up that i was thinking of putting in a new tupperdor. Its one of those cedar planks you hang in your closet. I says that its 100% Eastern Red Cedarwood with no added chemicals.
Im thinking this is ok but want to run it by the experts here.
DrMaddVibe
3 years ago
I dunno...can you?
frankj1
3 years ago
probably works in closets.

for cigars, Spanish Cedar is the wood
KingoftheCove
KingoftheCove
3 years ago
Also, just an fyi, “Spanish Cedar” isn’t really cedar at all, some kind of mahogany IIRC…
RiverRatRuss
3 years ago

I have an unopened Cedar Fresh Hang Up that i was thinking of putting in a new tupperdor. Its one of those cedar planks you hang in your closet. I says that its 100% Eastern Red Cedarwood with no added chemicals.
Im thinking this is ok but want to run it by the experts here.

Mraia wrote:



NO... Your cigars will taste like Dog Rockets for real...


drglnc
3 years ago
Negative Ghost Rider... that would destroy your cigars. Spanish Cedar is what you want and is a different thing then aromatic cedar. if you use the stuff for your closet then you might as well add moth balls as well...
Sunoverbeach
3 years ago
This is not the cedar you are looking for
RiverRatRuss
3 years ago

Also, just an fyi, “Spanish Cedar” isn’t really cedar at all, some kind of mahogany IIRC…

KingoftheCove wrote:



Close, Spanish Ceder is Ceder, but it is also in the Mahogany family group. No Cedars grown in the western hemisphere are good for storing cigar purposes, because of the aromas they produce. woods breath just like cigars and other tobacco products the more porous the woods the more breathing IE: moisture absorbing quality's they will have, but also the more porous type woods in North America also contain an natural odor and are more Susceptible to mold or fungus... one woods I always wanted to experiment with is Cypress it's porous quality's and resistance to fungus and mold are IMO close to use as Spanish Cedar, but more structural capability's like Mahogany...

I'll get back into building Huidors in the near future and will test out my theory? for now.. I've lost all my links to hook you up with a line on Spanish Ceder 1/4" panels for liners..
Mraia
  • Mraia
  • Connoisseur Topic Starter
3 years ago
Thanks all. Consensus is NO and Im gonna hang this in me closet and buy some spanish cedar for the humi
drglnc
3 years ago

Thanks all. Consensus is NO and Im gonna hang this in me closet and buy some spanish cedar for the humi

Mraia wrote:




im always weary of buying it from amazon but it is available. I'm lucky enough to have a hardwood dealer and wood working shot near my work. Rockler is a reputable company online to order from.

https://www.rockler.com/spanish-cedar-by-the-piece 
KingoftheCove
3 years ago

Close, Spanish Ceder is Ceder, but it is also in the Mahogany family group. No Cedars grown in the western hemisphere are good for storing cigar purposes, because of the aromas they produce. woods breath just like cigars and other tobacco products the more porous the woods the more breathing IE: moisture absorbing quality's they will have, but also the more porous type woods in North America also contain an natural odor and are more Susceptible to mold or fungus... one woods I always wanted to experiment with is Cypress it's porous quality's and resistance to fungus and mold are IMO close to use as Spanish Cedar, but more structural capability's like Mahogany...

I'll get back into building Huidors in the near future and will test out my theory? for now.. I've lost all my links to hook you up with a line on Spanish Ceder 1/4" panels for liners..

RiverRatRuss wrote:


Eh, pretty sure “Spanish Cedar” is not in the cedar tree family……..at all.
But Ive been wrong once before………………………when I thought I was wrong….
KingoftheCove
3 years ago

“Spanish cedar” is neither Spanish nor a true cedar. The latin name “Cedrela Odorata” translates literally “smells like cedar”. Spanish cedar, or cedro, grows in South America. Unlike cedar, it is not a coniferous tree, but a close relative to Honduran mahogany.”


Despite its name, Spanish Cedar is not only a hardwood (and therefore not a Cedar at all), but it is also not Spanish. Spanish Cedar actually comes from the Meliaceae family, along with Mahogany; Spanish Cedar is similar to Genuine Mahogany in its beautiful coloration, attractive grain pattern, and great workability.


RiverRatRuss
3 years ago

“Spanish cedar” is neither Spanish nor a true cedar. The latin name “Cedrela Odorata” translates literally “smells like cedar”. Spanish cedar, or cedro, grows in South America. Unlike cedar, it is not a coniferous tree, but a close relative to Honduran mahogany.”


Despite its name, Spanish Cedar is not only a hardwood (and therefore not a Cedar at all), but it is also not Spanish. Spanish Cedar actually comes from the Meliaceae family, along with Mahogany; Spanish Cedar is similar to Genuine Mahogany in its beautiful coloration, attractive grain pattern, and great workability.


KingoftheCove wrote:



Wow Nice Google... Fact Checker on Isle 9... LOL
Have you ever worked with Spanish Cedar? I even said it's in the Mahogany family, similar to all Nut Tree's it is easier to work then Mahogany building a Humidor out of Mahogany alone would suffice to store cigars without adding a SP Cedar lining.. as stated above I will experiment with Cypress in the near future because its affordable and more redilly available compaired to Mahogany and or Spanish Cedar, but porous enough IMO to store cigars...
RiverRatRuss
3 years ago

I have an unopened Cedar Fresh Hang Up that i was thinking of putting in a new tupperdor. Its one of those cedar planks you hang in your closet. I says that its 100% Eastern Red Cedarwood with no added chemicals.
Im thinking this is ok but want to run it by the experts here.

Mraia wrote:



https://www.cigarbid.com/Forum/c/posts/135950/Can-I-aromatic-cedar-instead-of-Spanish 


https://www.cigarbid.com/Forum/c/posts/149773/Desktop-or-Cabinet-Humidor-ConstructionCosts 
Jakethesnake86
3 years ago
Just add a couple boxes if you want cedar in there. I once smashed up a few old boxes to add cedar to a big tub.
I’m the snake
KingoftheCove
3 years ago
Russ, I am interested to see how the cypress works out for you.
I found it difficult to work, but Im not a pro by any means, and my tools are/were minimal.

Fact check on Isle 9? Ha!
I was just checking MY MEMORY, because I remember reading about this topic years ago.
And, BTW, i simply stated what I did, because you said

“Close, Spanish ceder is ceder”…

It isn’t…
RiverRatRuss
3 years ago

Russ, I am interested to see how the cypress works out for you.
I found it difficult to work, but Im not a pro by any means, and my tools are/were minimal.

Fact check on Isle 9? Ha!
I was just checking MY MEMORY, because I remember reading about this topic years ago.
And, BTW, i simply stated what I did, because you said

“Close, Spanish ceder is ceder”…

It isn’t…

KingoftheCove wrote:



Thats cool King, I was just bustin yer balls a bit... I'm just an avid woodworker myself and to get my shop back up and running since closeing up in 2016 is going to be allot of reworking my tools at most or allot of replacing as moisture has settled in on allot of them over time... another wood I am looking at a possibility is Catalpa ... Very Pretty wood, but not sure if it will produce an odor?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalpa 
Sunoverbeach
3 years ago

“Spanish cedar” is neither Spanish nor a true cedar

KingoftheCove wrote:


So, it's the Rare Corojo of the wood world?
BuckyB93
3 years ago

Just add a couple boxes if you want cedar in there. I once smashed up a few old boxes to add cedar to a big tub.

Jakethesnake86 wrote:



Some brick and mortar places will give away empty boxes for free or sell them for a few bucks each. Cbid used to sell them on auction (not sure if they still do) but it was a bundle of boxes of no specific pedigree, a grab bag type of thing. Some in the bundle were cedar boxes some were the cardboard ones.
Users browsing this topic