Thom
  • Thom
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
I'm just getting into this whole cigar thing in a good way, and my little 20 ct. humi is full. So Naturally I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger humidor.

Now, I'm on a budget(around $100, less is better but could go higher), so I'm looking for the best buy for my money. I think I want one that can hold 100 sticks, and comes complete (hygro, humi) the more goodies the better. That looks good and is well made. I know I may be asking alot, but I think it's out there.

e-mail [email protected]

I've looked at humi's on other bidding web sites, okay e-bay, and I'm just not sure of them.

Any suggestions?
KNOF
22 years ago
Stick here on CBid. This is the best site to find anything. Do a little research and look at all posible. depending what your needs are, and funds allow, you will find a few humi's here that will fit you well.

Remember your not suppose to be using other sites in this forum. Read the rules that you agreed to. That E-site is not always be a good thing. Especially when we have a site like CBid!!!! The best thing about CBid is when you see another package on your doorstep when you get home from work . . . and there are matches in it! LOL!!!

Knof
nilro
22 years ago
El Presidente found right here on C-Bid. I love it, holds a little over 100 sticks and looks nice in my 'gar room.

-Max
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
A Big second on the El Presidente I have had one about 6 months it works perfectly and I think it looks great as well. Of course I have bought a couple more since then. I have a problem with cigars so my wife says. So buy as big a one as you can afford. Because if you really like this little hobby you will need the room.
coma-one
22 years ago
You want my .02 my friend...... here it goes. Go to Walmart and purchase a 54qt. igloo ice chest ($50), get one of the ones with no spout and if they have the ones with a tray get it. Proceed to go to the hobby department inside of Walmart and purchase couple bricks of wet floral foam ($8), now head to the tupperware area and pick up tupperware with a lid that measures 10" long by 6" wide (approx.) preferablly one with holes on the top. Now go to your local tabacconist and purchase some of his empty ALL WOOD cigar boxes. Also purchase a digital hygrometer. Belive me you'll need the space sooner than latter.

If you need help email me

coma
at
acconsultants
dot
com
smelly4tay
22 years ago
Follow Coma's advice! A coolidor is not only a great 3 hour project, it is about the most practical thing I have seen in the cigar hobby. I have a 54-quart that is now my fave, and spent a total of about 45$ for everything. Now I figure if I need room for 250 cigars.......I have it.
*Thom, do a little searching of the picture board for coolidor, and there are good pics. Just my .02
Dave
jdobson
22 years ago
I disagree with Coma. Coolerdors should come after you have a nice humi. The humi is a showpiece that even non-smokers envy. I think every gar lover should have at least one good humi in a place where it can start conversation. It is a great way to turn friends on to it. I splurged a while back and got one of the indulgence tables, which is just awesome for being an attractive piece of furniture and the glass front and top show the sticks of for all to see.

Now, once your 100-count is bursting at the seams after a few months of hanging around here. Build yourself some coolies for long-term aging.
SteveS
22 years ago
Well, Thom ...

You could do a search on the CBid main page for "humidors" and check out everything that's currently up for bid here ... right now, there's 4 or 5 pretty good choices ... keep an eye on the stuff that is put up each day and you're bound to find something pretty soon ...

But ... you asked for a suggestion ... I'd take $14 of that $100 and buy the stuff needed to make a 300 ct "tupper-a-dor" (*) and spend the other $86 on cigars ...

(*)
Here's your shopping list, all available at WalMart:
40 qt Sterilite tub w/snap on lid = $4
5x5x2 Tupperware "sandwich" container = $3
One block of WET florist foam = 2.50
One bottle propylene glycol = $2
One gallon of DISTILLED water = 1.00

cut florist foam to fit easily into the sandwich container ... drill holes in the lid of that container or just throw it away ... soak the florist foam with a 50/50 mix of PG and distilled water ... pour off excess, if any ... you want the foam to be completely wet, but not sitting in a puddle ... put the holey lid on (or not) and place the container in your tub ...

Now you're up and running ... greater sophistication can follow as budget is available ... but do yourself a big favor ... don't mess with a succession of expensive humi's that you're gonna outgrow quickly ... cut right to the bottom line with a tupperador that you can upgrade into a full fledged coolerador ... then, you can leisurely shop for a nice humi that you REALLY like at a decent price ...

Want more info ... drop me a note at

fromsteves at hotmail dot com
SteveS
22 years ago
I agree that a nice display humidor is worth owning, btw ... JDobson is right in that regard ... I just think that unless money isn't a consideration, you can arm yourself with inexpensive storage to begin with, then move to a nice humi or two as circumstances warrant ... 63 cigars can get pretty lonely in a big indulgence humi
SteveS
22 years ago
OH ... one more thought ...

When you DO get ready to move to a truly NICE display humidor ... drop SP a note and consider his input ...
arwings
22 years ago
Agree with everything that's been said. I made the mistake early on of buying successively larger humidors (like most addicts I was hooked long before I realized it). Learned the addage that, "if you have the storage room, the cigars will come!" Finally went with the Igloodor. Best value I found was at Sam's Club (120 quart for $39.95) This was in the Summer; don't know if they carry them in the Winter. Bought two and ordered my own PG to mix (much less expensive). Then discovered the "beads." Best stuff for humidifying cigars since sliced bread. Purchased a combo hydrometer/indoor/outdoor thermometer at Wal-Mart for $14.95. Clipped off the outdoor temp probe and it works perfectly. Now keep gars in both at a constant 65 degrees (like mine a little drier; they draw better).

Whew! Didn't mean to get so long winded. Point is you will have considerable storage space for a bit over $100 total. The downside?.........both Igloodors are full and I'm still buying cigars (as we all know the perfect cigar is only as far away as your next purchase, and there's just GOT to be an outstanding cigar out there somewhere for under a buck!). Just my thoughts..................
fudge
22 years ago
Does the tuppador need to be lined with cedar?
arwings
22 years ago
IMHO cedar lining is not necessary for a tupperdor or Igloodor. However, some folks want to go the extra step and line them. You can do it by buying cedar boards, or as some people have found, empty cigar boxes made of cedar can be broken up and make an excellent lining. If you use adhesive be sure and get the odorless, moisture-proof type. Let it dry thoroughly with the container open to make sure there are no fumes to saturate your cigars. Just a cautionary note: If you saw Spanish cedar to fit, be careful! It has toxic effects, sometimes severe, on the upper respiratory system and lungs.

P.S. For some "hard to line" areas the thin cedar wrapper that some cigars come with is excellent. And you can cut them with scissors.
gorob23
22 years ago
I'm sorry I tried to due the tuppador thing but I bought a real nice one (come on honey it will look great in the living room)!

it's all good advice EXCEPT the walmart thing I'd shop else where I am finding out too much bad stuff they do. Good luck Your getting great advice otherwise IMHO welcome Rob
SP
  • SP
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
Hey..........What about me ???
SP
  • SP
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
Opps........$100.00 or less........I typed too soon...
SP
  • SP
  • Aficionado
22 years ago
THANK YOU..SteveS, what a nice thing to post...
emgjet
22 years ago
Defintely what SteveS said. This hobby can grow and grow very quickly. Sooner or later you will need a large capacity Humidor, and unless you are willing to spend Hundreds on a good Cabinet or Display Humidor, a Coolador is inevitable.

Ed
Thom
  • Thom
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
22 years ago
Wow. Thank you all for your guidance and suggestions. I like jdobson's idea of getting a nice humi for show and tell, and then go for the igloodor (that's a funny name) or other cheap but effective storage device as my hobby, and cigar collection, grows. Igloodor... hahaha
rdk
  • rdk
  • Connoisseur
22 years ago
All these guys are right about the coolador I fixed one up and I have zero handy man ability . The thing sits dead on 70%. I use the 50/50mix pg and distilled water. Of course it is full and I will be sartring number two soon.
Users browsing this topic