danmdevries
12 years ago
Hey all.

Putting my foot in the door here with an intro post. I actually just discovered there were message boards on cigarbid just a couple days ago. I've been reading a bit on here - still can't make heads or tails of half the terms/acronyms used in here (as well as other cigar forums) ... still learning. But, seems like a great group of cigar lovers that makes up the boards here.

I'm a fairly new BOTL from Indiana, having only recently jumped two feet into the hobby about 3 months ago. I say hobby because I treat it as one. As with my other interests, it involves tools, toys and time. I've been an occasional cigar smoker for a few years, maybe one or two a year. Fast forward a bit and my brother in law gifted me a 10pack of MUWAT. I needed cigar storage.

Once I got interested in cigar accessories I knew it was all over. Now I'm buying toys and tools, and spending time learning/exploring this interest. All the ingredients for a hobby.

So, after some consideration I decided to do a Hybrid Humidor. Part tupperdor/coolerdor, part custom humidor. I had a watertight case that I tested for the ability to hold humidity and it passed as well as any cooler, which is to say perfectly. I bought some Spanish Cedar and built a liner in the box. All press-fit within the box and the box lid closed-cell foam is a tight fit against the box on the inside while the box's silicone O-ring seal keeps the whole thing airtight.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/anghellicdan/20140211_174621_zps4e411f7a.jpg 

Now that I had the space for more sticks, I started looking around and found CigarBid. Threw out a couple low bids on a few boxes and fivers of cigars I wanted to try, thinking I'd only win a third of them, and won 90% of them...

So, I'm really hoping I can be an active contributing member here, I'm on a couple other forums online and active still in most of them. Always the hard part is becoming an established member. I'll do my best.
Pharoahs
12 years ago
Hello! Fellow newb here also! 😎 After reading your post, felt like I read your whole life story hahaha! just kidding 🖐
danmdevries
12 years ago

Hello! Fellow newb here also! 😎 After reading your post, felt like I read your whole life story hahaha! just kidding 🖐

Pharoahs wrote:



No kidding necessary.

I'm "long-winded" on the keyboard. Especially after a couple drinks. I brew my own beer, and have 5 live taps at all times.

I don't talk much in person, make up for it at times like these. Thing is, I don't tend to say anything unless I have a receptive audience interested in a topic where I have knowledge to share. Then, I can talk for hours. I've been invited to speak to students, and have to write a script to keep myself in check.

In my professional life as well as my hobbies I hold a couple things close to heart. One is a plaque a friend made for me about 15 years ago. It's a plate of steel he welded "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing" -danmdevries- It was a quote I said to him at one point that he took to heart and I stick to it. The other is "its better to be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt" I won't say a word unless I am 100% certain of my position on the topic.

And a simple reply on an interwebs forum just turned into a short story.

Keep it up I'll write a novel.
Pharoahs
12 years ago
Some pretty good words you got there friend. Especially 'anything worth doing is worth overdoing' something that Ill keep in mind. What do you do for a living? Oh and I forgot to mention about your homemade humidor! You got skills! 👍 Looks really solid. Also, not to be nosy or anything but I saw your homemade brew, looked like a methlab at first hahaha! Cheers friend! 🍺
danmdevries
12 years ago

Some pretty good words you got there friend. Especially 'anything worth doing is worth overdoing' something that Ill keep in mind. What do you do for a living? Oh and I forgot to mention about your homemade humidor! You got skills! 👍 Looks really solid. Also, not to be nosy or anything but I saw your homemade brew, looked like a methlab at first hahaha! Cheers friend! 🍺

Pharoahs wrote:



Hey, if it's online and unsecured, it's public information.

The methlab comment isn't uncommon. I actually had someone drive by, turn around, drive past again slowly, turn around, drive by a third time and about 5 minutes later an officer pulled in the driveway for "we got a call that you might be manufacturing methamphetamine" Showed him my brewery, offered a beer and he was on his way.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/anghellicdan/20131013_153822_zps20ee0519.jpg 

People see three tiers of boiling liquid in stainless pots and assume illegal activity.

What do I do for a living? I'm a nurse in cardiothoracic intensive care. Heart and lung surgeries are my bread and butter. Just the place you'd expect to find a BOTL, right? :-"
Palama
12 years ago
Welcome abroad matey.

Now run away, run away! [frypan]
danmdevries
12 years ago

Welcome abroad matey.

Now run away, run away! [frypan]

Palama wrote:



Had a second glass of beer tonight, and being that it's too cold to actually go outside and enjoy a smoke, I spent the time enjoying the idea of having a smoke i.e. on cbid.

Locked up another $200 with the hopes that I get outbid on 66% of those items. Though last time I won 8 of 9....
Palama
12 years ago

Had a second glass of beer tonight, and being that it's too cold to actually go outside and enjoy a smoke, I spent the time enjoying the idea of having a smoke i.e. on cbid.

Locked up another $200 with the hopes that I get outbid on 66% of those items. Though last time I won 8 of 9....

danmdevries wrote:



Well, looks like there's no hope for you. May as well ask your bank to increase the credit limit on your credit card.

Or cards.

Or use your AMEX Black Card and not worry about it all.
danmdevries
12 years ago

Well, looks like there's no hope for you. May as well ask your bank to increase the credit limit on your credit card.

Or cards.

Or use your AMEX Black Card and not worry about it all.

Palama wrote:



Hahaha.

Still need to feed the rest of the family and keep the house above 65°F

But, once that's done, I'm all ears. 😇
hnixon12
12 years ago
The Book Chesepeake was shorter then this post...we dont need to know all this...Hi, I am a noob here would suffice
jespear
12 years ago

The Book Chesepeake was shorter then this post...we dont need to know all this...Hi, I am a noob here would suffice

hnixon12 wrote:



Why you such a cranky old bass turd, nixon ?
GhostTown
12 years ago
Welcome to the nut house. Gigars, guns, and beer. You'll fit in with most of these FOG's just fine.

One question.... Tabasco or Tapatio?
Buckwheat
12 years ago
Welcome to the freak show. Good first post. You in Northern or Southern Indiana? I'm in Louisville, KY. Have a good one.
Julian
itsawaldo
12 years ago
I believe Jerry Garcia said "too much of anything is never enough", he's dead.

Hi Ho!

Welcome
nolen
12 years ago

Welcome to the Brotherhood, good first post 🇨🇮
tonygraz
12 years ago
Welcome, I don't know if I'll have the time to read all of what you post tho. Ever hear of the KISS principal ?
BlueDude
12 years ago
FACT:

99% of people read ONLY the first two or three sentences of posts, emails, and other online content.
delta1
12 years ago
welcome to the asylum, fast n furious fingers...
danmdevries
12 years ago

FACT:

99% of people read ONLY the first two or three sentences of posts, emails, and other online content.

BlueDude wrote:



The Book Chesepeake was shorter then this post...we dont need to know all this...Hi, I am a noob here would suffice

hnixon12 wrote:



Ok, the TL;DR

I'm a noob here, and I'm pretty proud of my hybrid humi so I thought I'd share a picture of it.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/anghellicdan/20140211_174621_zps4e411f7a.jpg 

Sometimes after a couple beers I ramble.

I believe Jerry Garcia said "too much of anything is never enough", he's dead.

Hi Ho!

Welcome

itsawaldo wrote:



Just as dead as you or I shall someday be.

Welcome to the freak show. Good first post. You in Northern or Southern Indiana? I'm in Louisville, KY. Have a good one.
Julian

Buckwheat wrote:



Top left hand corner of IN

Welcome to the nut house. Gigars, guns, and beer. You'll fit in with most of these FOG's just fine.

One question.... Tabasco or Tapatio?

GhostTown wrote:



Neither. El Yucateco for most, but sriracha for eggs.
GhostTown
12 years ago

Neither. El Yucateco for most.

danmdevries wrote:



I'll be damned. I'm impressed. I keep two El Yucateco's on hand at all times. Though, I also use Tobasco often for certain things.
Users browsing this topic