Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago
I thought it could help out some of us noobs if the vets could compile a list of dog rockets, yard gars, primo, full strength firecrackers.

So you call them out and I will update this running list. With name next to it.
Might be a good way to get your unwanted gars off to someone who's got what you want.
Plus a very organized way to keep track of my vets (and your vets) favorite sticks!

So give me
1. Your favorite, and why?
2. Your loathed.
3. Full strengthers you have experinced

I have updated this post so some comments may seem confusing

I will start the list an when any are Added I will keep the list updated.
Cigar name-brief interpretation.
🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮 🇨🇮

LIST OF DOG ROCKS:

Black Crown - it's all hype. Lovely wet ashtray flavor from start to finish
Avocado limited reserve - any input would be added
Jose Piedra Cazadores - is no walk in the park
The Log - input will be added
Bohemian Bamboo - input will be added
5 Vegas golden maduro - definition of crap
CAO Black - construction issues plugs up.
Gurkhas Master Select - input will added
Gurkhas Double Maduro - input will be added
Fighting wombat aka Fighting **** - Wet grass
San Cristobal Elegancia
La Aurora 1495
Omar Ortiz Originals


LIST OF FULL STRENGTH POWERHOUSES:
Padilla - full strength watch out. Very peppery
Diesel Hair of the Dog - bitter on the first couple of draws. Smoothed out with a pleasant peppery leather finish.

GRAND SLAMS:
My Father - any of them! Sweet sticks great flavors.
Padron - great flavor, great burn, great price.
Tats Ghost Stick - cat rocket
opelmanta1900
12 years ago
so there's some problems with this...

the dog rockets sold here are constantly changing... sometimes it's a new rocket altogether, and sometimes it's the same rocket with a new label... but either way, new ones come along constantly...

In terms of yard gars, some people here smoke them and don't want you to drive up the prices on the ones they smoke...

there are definitely some people here who like black crowns... not me, but they are here...

Padilla actually makes some very nice cigars... just some, not a lot... they used to make some much better ones than they do now...

some of the botl's here probably have some padilla's buried in their humidor that are better than any cigar you've ever had...
dharbolt
12 years ago
+1 on the padilla
99cobra2881
12 years ago
One mans dog rocket is another mans go to smoke.

There is no answer to this question.
danmdevries
12 years ago

One mans dog rocket is another mans go to smoke.

There is no answer to this question.

99cobra2881 wrote:



This.

I bought several samplers (and still do when I want to try something new) and some of the sticks I really enjoyed and some, I've went back and bought a box of them. But when I'd search for the name, I'd find nothing but awful reviews which... led to cheap prices on the boxes! Win for me!

Heck, there's even a handful of Gurkhas I've bought on more than one occasion. Never a box though.
borndead1
12 years ago
I can't really answer this question. It is a journey that every noob must make themselves. I can say that there are entire brands that I avoid now because of repeat issues/too many bad sticks.
GhostTown
12 years ago
Glad I didn't send hillbilly one of my Padillas, and sent a pack of dog rockets instead.

😁
earthson
12 years ago
Aw, hell, let's help this dude out.

Verified dog rockets:

anything you can only get on CI/Cbid or cigar.com

There. Was that so hard?
DAD300
12 years ago
Another issue...SOME that are DR's right off the truck (ROTT) are GEMS a year later!

Learning which ones age to the better, is again, only a matter of taste.
Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago
All subjects I agree on. But..... Someone who hasn't ever had a cigar or know what they like in a cigar probably don't want to be Smokin a full strength cigar. Or a blando el cheapo. Leave the yard gars to us. I have definitely had my eye on some myself. Don't want a noob driving my prices up.

What I was asking for and I guess for lack of a better word
What cigar have you noticed and your BOTL noticed just was a bad smoke, construction issues. Etc..


Okay so any cigar that you don't like. Purely subjective.

Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago

Glad I didn't send hillbilly one of my Padillas, and sent a pack of dog rockets instead.

😁

GhostTown wrote:



I loved the Padilla!! I was just watching dancing bears when I got down to the nub. [frypan]

You sent some amazing sticks what you talkin bout Willis!

Every bodies cigars were phenomenal. I just can't handle full strength/body yet. I do like complexity but don't like the heat,pepper knock you durk in the dirt. And if some posts it hear I can send those out to other BOTL that do enjoy curing there palate🇨🇮
opelmanta1900
12 years ago


What I was asking for and I guess for lack of a better word
What cigar have you noticed and your BOTL noticed just was a bad smoke, construction issues. Etc..


Okay so any cigar that you don't like. Purely subjective.

Hillbillyjosh770 wrote:



direct yourself to post #8
erjaq
12 years ago
Josh, send all your full-strength, full-body cigars to me at once. Keep the dog rockets though.
frozenphoenix1
12 years ago

Josh, send all your full-strength, full-body cigars to me at once. Keep the dog rockets though.

erjaq wrote:



I can swap your fulls for my definition of dog rockets as well, if that makes you feel better.
Bur
  • Bur
  • Herf-A-Holic
12 years ago
Step 1: Go to the N00B/Vet trade, get assigned a vet, communicate with him about your likes/don't likes/fears/whether you like pancakes or waffles.

Step 2: Reinforce your mailbox, warn your family and neighbors and crate your dog. Pay off your postalperson

Step 3: Smoke as many cigars that you think you'll like after reading reviews and the ones your vet smacks you with WHILE KEEPING A LOG.

Step 4: Don't over-think this-this game's fun, dammit.
gryphonms
12 years ago
Read the cigar posts here, they are much more useful than magazine reviews. If most of the threads say a particular cigar is a dog rocket then it probably is. Keep in mind tastes vary. What I enjoy you may hate and vice versa.
Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago

Josh, send all your full-strength, full-body cigars to me at once. Keep the dog rockets though.

erjaq wrote:



What do you consider dog rockets?
erjaq
12 years ago
Obv any cigar that I don't like is a dog rocket.

(I was just joshin' with you, though)
Ilovetosmoke68
12 years ago
Avocado Limited Reserve,

If you’re on the prowl for a serviceable, non-gag-inducing handmade, Avocado Ltd. might just be your cup o’ tea. Hand ’em out to freeloaders, burn one while mowing the lawn....hell, pull the wrappers off, douse with ranch dressing and enjoy a low-carb meal. At this price, you’ll feel like you’re playing with the House’s money. Mild, Dominican-made, Candela-wrapped long-filler sticks for pennies.

Never tried and never will!
Plowboy221
12 years ago

Avocado Limited Reserve,

If you’re on the prowl for a serviceable, non-gag-inducing handmade, Avocado Ltd. might just be your cup o’ tea. Hand ’em out to freeloaders, burn one while mowing the lawn....hell, pull the wrappers off, douse with ranch dressing and enjoy a low-carb meal. At this price, you’ll feel like you’re playing with the House’s money. Mild, Dominican-made, Candela-wrapped long-filler sticks for pennies.

Never tried and never will!

Ilovetosmoke68 wrote:



Why not? I've never heard of them, just looked them up a cigar called Avocado sounds very appealing! [sarcasm]
I would also add The Log to your list, really just seeing the name of a cigar (these two for example) will turn me away and not even give them a second look.
Users browsing this topic