gummy jones
9 years ago
anyone have a 4runner, durango or acadia?
anyone have an opinion on any of the above?
anyone swear by any other 3 row suv (explorer, pilot, volvo xc90, tahoe, etc)?

thanks [gonzo]
cacman
9 years ago
Had a Durango.
I will never, ever buy a Dodge again.

Love our new Ford Explorer Sport.
dstieger
9 years ago
Once again, Carl and I seem to live in different universes....lol

I have a Durango and absolutely love it.
I had a new Explorer and hated it....sold it within a year.
I have owned two Expeditions and loved both of those.
DrMaddVibe
9 years ago
I would sooooo slide back into another Lincoln Navigator in a heartbeat.
TMCTLT
9 years ago
The wife of the shop I call home in MI. has a Ford SUV that seats 3 rows deep, been in it to travel to an event with several Large cigar buds and everyone claimed to be quite comfortable.

Agree wholeheartedly with Carl....I'd NEVER own a Dodge ( the more things change the more they stay the same with THAT brand )
gummy jones
9 years ago
the old adage is that toyota and honda are reliable, german stuff is expensive and american stuff is junk
while it may have been true in the past, has this changed?

the durango is one of the only ones in the class that seems to be a throwback to suvs of yesteryear but there is just some unfounded thought in the back of my head that it may be unreliable although i have no evidence to support that
Just Relax
9 years ago
I have a Ford Explorer and love it. Unless things have changed since I bought it with other vehicles it was the only one that I could sit in the third row in besides the tahoe. And since the seats fold up instead of have to be taken out it has the deep pocket in the back so there is more room than the others with all 3 seats up - the one that would fit a stroller for us... The drive is pretty basic and they had problems with a lot of the navigation/sync stuff early on with them but I think those kinks are worked out now. I didn't have all of that so not an issue for me. 85k miles on my 13 now with no real complaints.
dstieger
9 years ago
Sounds strange, but one of the things I hated most about the Explorer ('03, maybe?) was the acoustics. Kids' voices from 2'd or 3'd rows were unnaturally amplified - and my voice from front couldn't be heard without yelling.....I know it was more than just my boys being boys, because the problem wasn't nearly as pronounced in other vehicles.
cacman
9 years ago

Sounds strange, but one of the things I hated most about the Explorer ('03, maybe?) was the acoustics.

dstieger wrote:


That explains our differences of opinions. Our Durano was an '03 - 5.9L before the Hemi. It was always in the shop. Our Explorer Sport is a 2015 and I can barely hear a person in the 3rd seat.
DrafterX
9 years ago
Chose the 2nd row bucket seats and a bench 3rd seat in da Burb so puppy-dog could have room to move around a little bit.... 😟
SmokeMonkey
9 years ago
I am on my second Volvo XC90 and have enjoyed both. My only caution is Phoebus that when something goes wrong, it's definitely not cheap to repair. Now that my boys are in college and there's less need for a large SUV, I'll probably step down to the XC60 next time.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
Depends on what you need the third row for. If it is just for small children, then the ones you listed would work fine. But if it is for anyone of significant size, can't go wrong with the Suburban. We had an '03 to tote around our four kids and we loved it. Couldn't afford a new one so had to go with a minivan...yuck.
gummy jones
9 years ago
i have been hearing more and more good things about the explorer as my research continues (have been researching for 4-5 months)

i think im just stuck on the old school "reliability" thinking and was hoping a few of you would tell me my thought process is out dated

i am leaning durango because i like the tow capacity and the v8 that you get in a package that is still smaller than the tahoe, acadia, burb, etc
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago

i have been hearing more and more good things about the explorer as my research continues (have been researching for 4-5 months)

i think im just stuck on the old school "reliability" thinking and was hoping a few of you would tell me my thought process is out dated

i am leaning durango because i like the tow capacity and the v8 that you get in a package that is still smaller than the tahoe, acadia, burb, etc

gummy jones wrote:



I have also heard good things about the Ford XL models that have the longer length in order to have more room for people in the third row and still have a trunk. That is a huge reason we didn't go with many third row model SUV's is that when the seats are up, there is literally no trunk. At least in the van we have a decent amount of trunk space.
ZRX1200
9 years ago
The ecoboost can tow.

We have a Tahoe, and it's nice but for as big as it is there isn't much trunk space.
gummy jones
9 years ago
a van would be easiest but my wife thinks suvs are cooler
i am of the mindset that ease = less stress = cooler look but she disagrees
nothing is cool about being exhausted, draggin three little ones around, covered in bodily fluids, etc (regardless of the vehicle being driver)
gummy jones
9 years ago

The ecoboost can tow.

We have a Tahoe, and it's nice but for as big as it is there isn't much trunk space.

ZRX1200 wrote:



i was sold on the tahoe until i really thought about just how little the trunk is with the 3rd row up

its crazy how much bigger (not big, but bigger) the trunk is in smaller 3 row suvs on the market in comparison
ZRX1200
9 years ago
It has leg room.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
Small trunk space in the Tahoe is why you get the Suburban....Massive Trunk! You can fit so much junk in the trunk......
DrafterX
9 years ago
3rd seat comes out and second row seats fold down in da Burb... I've hauled full sheets of plywood befo.... 😟




And as far as reliability goes, I see a lot of cops using the Explorers these days... they must like something about them... 😟
Users browsing this topic