teedubbya
9 years ago

but we don't know if that's how it went down.. you're making assumptions that they were all hanging together.. I doubt that was the case.. the Police there were people coming from all directions.. there wasn't line in the sand that got crossed.. .. 😟

DrafterX wrote:




If you knew it would it change your mind?
Burner02
9 years ago

Martha McCallum should have been given credit for that one. It's exactly what she asked Newt on Fox News just hours earlier....on Monday evening. ...kinda funny to watch the president recite others' commentary word for word

dstieger wrote:




Cool, she said it then give her credit. Have not been glued to the tube.

At least he was not quoting or reciting Obama.
teedubbya
9 years ago

It might...but I don't even see a problem there....careful picking of out of context facts and legends could turn Lee (or anybody) into a monster, but I think Lee was mostly a pretty decent person and I don't think a school named for him should bother you (or your hypothetical black kid) any more than the statues do

dstieger wrote:




Hey I don't really care, I was being silly. But the dude could have lead the Union Army but Chose the south. I could see some black folk struggling with that. That said, I guess that's pretty presumptuous. I don't really know. Maybe we should ask them?
DrafterX
9 years ago
why do I need to change my mind..?? You guys are saying everyone there defending the statue was a nazi or a nazi supporter... I don't believe that for a minute.. never will... 😟
opelmanta1900
9 years ago

bassard

teedubbya wrote:



my "racist" was meant for drafter attending RELHS... oh well, let em fall where the gods will it...
dstieger
9 years ago

Hey I don't really care, I was being silly. But the dude could have lead the Union Army but Chose the south. I could see some black folk struggling with that. That said, I guess that's pretty presumptuous. I don't really know. Maybe we should ask them?

teedubbya wrote:




I'm pretty far removed from my Civil War history lessons...may have to reread...but I always thought of Lee as having chosen Virginia moreso than choosing the South...believe he said he couldn't take up arms against his fellow Virginians...he may not have been all that principled going in....as least not so far as the big Separatist arguments of the time
victor809
9 years ago
Have you looked at the video from Friday night? An organized line of people carrying lit torches and chanting? I see no problem in identifying every single one of them as a nazi.

Have you seen the "uniforms" they wore Saturday white polo shirts? There's a video if a scared little nazi kid taking his white polo off and claiming he was just doing it for "funsies" once he was on camera. Yep... when you put a uniform on to match next to nazis... you're a nazi.

I think there's another statement we can make.
If you spend a ton if effort trying to equivocate that some of the Nazis may not be nazis.. and some of the Nazis are probably good people. You're a nazi sympathizer.

This isn't the sort of issue that requires nuance. And anyone that's soing mental gymnastics to try to bring nuance to Nazism is a bad person and not someone I would ever want to stand next to.
teedubbya
9 years ago

why do I need to change my mind..?? You guys are saying everyone there defending the statue was a nazi or a nazi supporter... I don't believe that for a minute.. never will... 😟

DrafterX wrote:




I didn't say you needed to, I asked if it would.

It would absolutely change mine if I knew there were a bunch of good folks that were isolated from the nazis and had no idea what was going on despite the events of the evening prior etc.

I get the sense it would have been hard to miss. I do judge the folks that stood figuratively beside them and did nothing or participated for any reason.... especially if they tried to hang it on a statue.




teedubbya
9 years ago

my "racist" was meant for drafter attending RELHS... oh well, let em fall where the gods will it...

opelmanta1900 wrote:




I know but I found it funny
dstieger
9 years ago

why do I need to change my mind..?? You guys are saying everyone there defending the statue was a nazi or a nazi supporter... I don't believe that for a minute.. never will... 😟

DrafterX wrote:




Victor's the only one saying that...this is one time when he appears to believe the chit he's throwing...I don't believe it either, X....but I'm not giving anyone there a free pass, either....I think it'd be hard to find too many on either side that I could sympathize with, or even relate to..BUT...if I went, I'd NOT have been on the WS side, I assure you
DrafterX
9 years ago

Have you looked at the video from Friday night? An organized line of people carrying lit torches and chanting? I see no problem in identifying every single one of them as a nazi.

Have you seen the "uniforms" they wore Saturday white polo shirts? There's a video if a scared little nazi kid taking his white polo off and claiming he was just doing it for "funsies" once he was on camera. Yep... when you put a uniform on to match next to nazis... you're a nazi.

I think there's another statement we can make.
If you spend a ton if effort trying to equivocate that some of the Nazis may not be nazis.. and some of the Nazis are probably good people. You're a nazi sympathizer.

This isn't the sort of issue that requires nuance. And anyone that's soing mental gymnastics to try to bring nuance to Nazism is a bad person and not someone I would ever want to stand next to.

victor809 wrote:




good for you... but again, that's not what I was saying was it... 😟
teedubbya
9 years ago

I'm pretty far removed from my Civil War history lessons...may have to reread...but I always thought of Lee as having chosen Virginia moreso than choosing the South...believe he said he couldn't take up arms against his fellow Virginians...he may not have been all that principled going in....as least not so far as the big Separatist arguments of the time

dstieger wrote:




I think the split was something like 60/40. I also think he was going to be indicted for treason until Gen Grant stepped in.

It's not my fight. I really don't care about the statues at all.

The nazis and anyone that stood or would stand beside them when convenient.... not so much.
DrafterX
9 years ago

I didn't say you needed to, I asked if it would.

It would absolutely change mine if I knew there were a bunch of good folks that were isolated from the nazis and had no idea what was going on despite the events of the evening prior etc.

I get the sense it would have been hard to miss. I do judge the folks that stood figuratively beside them and did nothing or participated for any reason.... especially if they tried to hang it on a statue.




teedubbya wrote:




there were prolly alot of spectators there who didn't give a chit about the statue just watching also.. are they nazis for being there..?? are the cops nazis for not stopping the fights or are they anti-nazis..??
victor809
9 years ago
You have no evidence for what you're saying. All that we've seen in video of the event is masses of organized Nazis (sorry... some go by other names). This isn't something people wandered into. They belonged to one of the groups organizing this, knew what other groups were going to be there and chose to come anyway. They prepared for it by wearing uniforms... carrying shields with white power symbols...

Go ahead and defend it all you want drafter. It just lets me know where you stand.
teedubbya
9 years ago

there were prolly alot of spectators there who didn't give a chit about the statue just watching also.. are they nazis for being there..?? are the cops nazis for not stopping the fights or are they anti-nazis..??

DrafterX wrote:




spectators now huh? I suppose if they were switzerland they were on neither side of the equation huh?

I don't think too many in the area didn't know what was what
DrafterX
9 years ago
you guys are speculating too... you can't throw throw the nazi blanket over everybody... 😟
teedubbya
9 years ago
I told you if I found out differently I would adjust. You said you don't have to.
teedubbya
9 years ago
There's no moral equivalency between racists & Americans standing up to defy hate& bigotry. The President of the United States should say so

I sort of liked that one
DrafterX
9 years ago
Fine, if you can prove to me that everybody there who wants to keep the statue was a nazi I'll change my mind... 😟
teedubbya
9 years ago
lol.... now it's everybody... if they were in among the nazis, or aware of the massive presence, and did or said nothing while sharing a common goal... yup... at a minimum complicit. I will account for some that may be retarded though. If someone was totally unaware (not intentionally so) i'd cut them some slack.


I don't care what my cause, if the nazis started lining up beside me figuratively or literally I'd take issue with it. Even if that means simply leaving and not being associated with it. That would be the wussy way but I'd not judge someone for that. The other way could get them hurt or accused of being alt left.


I'm sure I'm glad I'm on my side of the fence. I'd hate to be defending yours.
Users browsing this topic