jpellegrin
13 years ago

I'm worn out....


Well done Queenie!

fishinguitarman wrote:




So you were a s hit disturber?!!! I knew there was a reason I was drawn to you besides the thonginator pic!
DCLover
13 years ago
Another "well said" for the queen.

That was funny Camron!
banderl
13 years ago

...and what are we doing in this handbasket?????


Okay - I'm going to try to clear up a few things as far as "forum tradition" and history (Now, as a frumpy librarian, I'm a slave to tradition and as a fog I dislike change and people on my lawn, but I am deliberately trying to keep this post neutral. If I seem to be falling on the side of foggishness... go back and read the previous sentence again LOL!)
If I get anything wrong, please let me know, but here is my take on it:

I think the root of the problem is bored noobs. Children NEED structure - even when they balk at it, they crave it. Noobs have been without structure for a while, here. Nature abhorrs a vacuum, and Letsrock filled the vacuum. For the noo noods who don't even know WHY we call them noods, boobs or Donkeys, why the General is called The General or anything about Beyder's sister, Shpos, Steaky, Parsnicketydoo or Pacman's e-noogies among other oblique references that get thrown around, there's no way you could possibly know that the noob culture here hasn't ALWAYS been uncoordinated. There are several things that have happened recently (but before most of your times) that led to it. I'll try to set up a timeline:

First of all, we have had an organization called OpNSB (Operation Noobs Strike Back) for quite a while. It began with one of the most seriously disturbed and certifiably insane noobs I have ever encountered - Grampa. (http://www.cigarbid.com/Forum/c/posts/91366/ATTENTION-VETS-AND-FOGs--) When Grampa decided to help out on the Noob Trade thread, he was christened a "vet" and passed the torch and title "Donkey King" to Linc., and on and on and on. Eventually it went to an amazing SOTL who goes by the handle Lluvia.
Right around the beginning of Lluvia's reign, however, two things happened simultaneously: In addition to being a single mom and working 2 jobs, Lluvia found herself in a situation where she HAD to put her family's safety and well-being first... nothing minor, mind you - we're talking about a situation where there was a real, physical DANGER that involved moving, new phone numbers, etc.

At the same time, we had a crop of ... well... pretty useless noobs moving through. Not ALL, to be sure... but a LARGE majority were not very active anywhere else on the forum and disappeared immediately after their noob trade. They didn't take part in other trades or bombings, and didn't rally to OpNSB bombings when the Noob Queen called. (From where I stand, noob energy, enthusiasm and participation had been slowly declining over the previous 1 1/2 - 2 previous Donkey Kings, and had really hit a low when it got to Lluvia. Active and enthusiastic noobs were almost immediately "crossing to the dark side" and helping FGM with vet trades. Nothing wrong with THAT! But there were no like-minded noobs coming in to take their places.) Since she really didn't have the time or energy to rabble rouse and try to breathe life into a bunch of dead donkeys, the OpNSB campaigns ended up being carried by a few AWESOME noobs...but no one likes playing by themselves, and there were more fun things going on that they turned their attentions to. I think the economy tanking and giving everyone a financial kick in the crotch contributed as well. The upshot is that everything went on a sort of hiatus for about a year.

Recently, we've had an influx of exceptionally cheeky noobs. Now, I don't think they're NAUGHTY kids... just mischieveous and bored. They needed something to DO... a constructive channel for their noob energies! At roughly the same time,1) Lluvia responded by passing the scepter to someone who had the time and energy to handle the wild bunch, and 2) a particularly ambitious noob remembered to take his Ritalin, found some focus, and stepped up to fill the same void...knowing NOTHING of the existence of OpNSB.

So here we sit: cheeky noob on a throne that he THOUGHT was vacant, and the heir to that throne coming home to find said throne occupied by a usurper who didn't know there was anything to usurp in the first place. NO ONE is in the wrong, as far as I can see...but it presents a problem, doesn't it?

The way I see it, we have some options:

Everyone can take sides - noobs and vets alike. Rather than one, destructive offensive strike, we get two halfazzed strikes and things are set up to descend into chaos and eventually fizzle again. Bad blood flows on the trade board. This rowdy crop of noods with so much potential, finds the divided trade board to be a hostile and unpleasant place to play and becomes less and less active. Neither side is ever taken seriously by the vets, for obvious reasons...and because come on...they're NOOD DONKEYS! (Whoops... did I type that? BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!)


Noods and nood leaders can tell the vets to butt out (I don't recommend it - makes us testy and we'll mind any business we like thank you very much damn noobs coming in acting like they own the place and while you're at it GET OFF MY DAMN LAWN!!!!). Busa and Letsrock can take the matter to PM, email, text message, phone call, candygram, smoke signal or semaphore... just OFF THE FORUM where there's no dog-piling or DRRRAAAAAAAMMMMMMAAAAAAA. They work out something that they feel best benefits the noobs AND respects forum history and tradition (which, whether you know it or not, benefits everyone, including the noobs) with all personal ego and ambition set aside. A compromise is reached, the final solution is presented to the Donkey Herd for their approval or disapproval (Unless they decide to make it an edict rather than a vote.)

(end neutrality)
My personal opinion is this (take or leave it as you like... opinions are like belly-buttons, after all):

I think that the noobs aren't necessarily trying to move in and change forum culture to their liking... but it's looking that way to a lot of people and causing bad blood. Folks who have been here more than a year or two feel much the same way about it as they did about Greedo shooting first. This isn't government work, where if it ain't broke, you fix it till it is! Tradition says that Busa is the noob king, and as a traditionalist, I support him. (HOWEVER... I'm really liking the ring of "Nood World Order" vs "Operation Noobs Strike Back." Less defensive and more offensive... and if there's anything noobs are good at, it's being offensive BWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...aah, er... I typed that again, didn't I?)

Busa is a lot more than "haaa" and "tee hee" and "que" - he doesn't often have time to write a novel like I'm doing here, but he DOES at least use those to maintain a presence on the boards AND to lighten the mood sometimes. Busa has a long history of rabble rousing, troop bombing and Noob Trade vetting... whatever the outcome, I think it would be VERY beneficial to the noob coalition to have him on board.

Also, I think that it would be VERY beneficial to a noob coalition to have someone with a few miles on him. Busa knows the cast of characters, who makes a good target, who will squeal the loudest, ADDRESSES...
He is also someone who KNOWS the histories and traditions and can let them in on the inside jokes AND keep them from "stepping in it" all the time.

Cultures are made of history and tradition. We have a unique, strange, screwed-up little culture here... but by and large, that's what drew you here in the first place, and that's what keeps you here, if you stay.

Cultures also adapt, grow and evolve...that needs to be taken into consideration. On that front, I think Letsrock or someone like him NEEDS to be a major player in the noo noob coalition (No, I'm not waffling. I'm an avowed pancake supporter.)The recent noob rampages remind me of the heyday of OpNSB under Grampa's insane reign... and I'm loving it! THAT is what a herd of rabid donkeys is SUPPOSED to look like! They just need to stay focused and coordinated...

Beyond that, at the risk of ticking off the vets, I think the noobs need to tell the vets to mind their own business. I know that Busa-king would not hesitate to tell me to pizz-off... although he'd be a little nicer than that because he knows he doesn't want a woman scorned on his butt! BWAHAHAHA! Plus, I vetted a noob or two, but I never HAD a vet, so I'm a hybrid... I WALK IN BOTH WORLDS! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Also, I'm not going to shut up even if he tells me to and he knows it! HAAAAA!!!!


Well, there ya go. I'm a Libra librarian. This is what we do. We seek balance and use a chit-ton of words doing it LMAO!

DaQueenBeez wrote:


Wait!
What?
z6joker9
13 years ago
Can someone post a tl;dr?
dhoppe_rock
13 years ago

Can someone post a tl;dr?

z6joker9 wrote:



I so wanted to but being an extremely new n00b and in the spirit of the message, I refrained....plus, I did read it all.

Won't let it happen again!
DaQueenBeez
13 years ago

So here is my .02....a basic fundamental of management is that leaders LEAD...I can appreciate what the "Donkey King" may or may not do behind the scenes but as the Queen clearly stated, "nature abhors a vacuum" and there was clearly a leadership vacuum here that LetsRock stepped up to fill. I for one have been on the boards since July and I honestly thought that the whole "Donkey King" title was a nickname until about a week or two ago. So how exactly does that show leadership? He might be a perfectly nice guy and do great things but if I don't even know who he is, then how effective can he be? In contrast, LetsRock has actively recruited me into his noob army and I have developed a strong relationship with him through numerous pm's over the past several months.

LEADERS LEAD...my .02

SMGBobbyScott wrote:




Not an argument, just a clarification: IIRC, Lluvia handed off to busa right around the time that letsrock was running his first big bru-ha-ha. I haven't rummaged around the threads to confirm or anything - I just recall both events taking place in roughly the same time frame. The leaderless period you're talking about would have been during Lluvia's reign...but I think her priorities were definitely in the right place. What Busa was doing during that time had nothing to do with OpNSB, really. I don't think anyone dropped the ball, and I don't think anyone muscled in... I think two people stepped into the same vacuum at the same time and the confusion occurred for several reasons.
DaQueenBeez
13 years ago

I so wanted to but being an extremely new n00b and in the spirit of the message, I refrained....plus, I did read it all.

Won't let it happen again!

dhoppe_rock wrote:




You read it ALL???



suckerrrrr..... [whip]
vrodrider
13 years ago
Guess I am another sucker

well said Queenie
dhoppe_rock
13 years ago

You read it ALL???



suckerrrrr..... [whip]

DaQueenBeez wrote:




Just trying to make a good impression.....I'm the kid that always sucked up to Mom and got my siblings in trouble!
engletl
13 years ago
Well said Queen.

the only added statement I can make - when the Nood king (or queen for that matter) starts taking on noods in the nood trade thread that was historically the end of said king's reign as leader of the donkey tards. And as has been custom through the changing of the king, the incoming leader immediately called for a strike on the outgoing leader.

And of course ALL nood plans are expected to continue to be vetted through Da General first as was originally written by grampa at my direction in the Operation Noobs Strike Back charter. You can thank boileremt for the silly dance you have to do upon your initiation to the rank and file of nood donkeys. As for the things you have to do with the poodles...umm well I think the poodle pumper had something to do with that during his reign as leader.
SMGBobbyScott
13 years ago

You read it ALL???



suckerrrrr..... [whip]

DaQueenBeez wrote:



Sucker = NOOB
crgcpro
13 years ago
Nice post!

But what's a Semaphone?
MIKEHARV
13 years ago
Wow that's a lot of words.....
Abrignac
13 years ago
So if I understand things correctly a leader is supposed to emerge at some point?
DaQueenBeez
13 years ago

Nice post!

But what's a Semaphone?

crgcpro wrote:





http://flagexpressions.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/history-behind-semaphore-flags/ 





I get a mental image of Busa and Letsrock doing a version of the Monty Python "Wuthering Heights in Semaphore" sketch ROFLMAO!!!!
DaQueenBeez
13 years ago

So if I understand things correctly a leader is supposed to emerge at some point?

Abrignac wrote:





((((me shrugs))))


I just kind of figured everyone would fall asleep reading my post, and they'd all be less cranky after a nap...
crgcpro
13 years ago

http://flagexpressions.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/history-behind-semaphore-flags/





I get a mental image of Busa and Letsrock doing a version of the Monty Python "Wuthering Heights in Semaphore" sketch ROFLMAO!!!!

DaQueenBeez wrote:



That's cool. See we can learn a lot from our FOGS!
TIGERCDW
13 years ago
Is there a Cliff notes version for the OP?

Sheesh

TIGER
TIGERCDW
13 years ago
I found it.

NOOBS SMELL

BUSA IS THE DONKEY KING

CONTINUE TO STAY OFF MY LAWN

TIGER
MIKEHARV
13 years ago

Is there a Cliff notes version for the OP?

Sheesh

TIGER

TIGERCDW wrote:


i think the first noob to read the whole thing and provide the Cliff Notes should be the Noob Leader
Users browsing this topic