BigCfor3
12 years ago
Hey all, been a while I know. This may be a n00b question coming from a non-n00b, but I need some advice on selecting a good butane lighter. I have been riding the Ronson train for too long and they seem to be getting less and less reliable. I had one Ronson that lasted me about 1.5 years, but then it got left in a golf cart. The most recent Ronsons seem to just not be up to that previous standard, so I am looking to upgrade. What are your guys' go to torches that are at a reasonable price and where's the best internet site to buy said torches? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Dr. BigC
Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago
Ebay. Seems to be cheapest. Look to spend at least 25.00 on a good lighter. I have a couple no names, that have never givin me any trouble.
mikey1597
12 years ago
Lotus has been a solid brand for me but so has the Ronson too. I have them stashed all over the place and with a little purging when I refill them I haven't had to throw one away
Burner02
12 years ago
sd72
12 years ago
How about something with a lifetime warranty? Xikar?
nolen
12 years ago
I have this one:

http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1697977/Lotus-3-Flame-Table-Top-Lighter-Satin-Chrome/ 

and this one:

http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Lot/1698054/Bugatti-B-1001-Dual-Torch-Lighter-Silver/ 


and a chit load of Ronson's (in the house, cars and office).

I really like the Bugatti and the table-top... I've had both for a while and they've served me well.






tonygraz
12 years ago
I have about 30 jet flame lighters and highly recommend the cheap chinese throw away butane lighters instead.
Plowboy221
12 years ago
Vector, specifically the vector diesel. I've had it for two years it has never failed me.
Philly Jack
12 years ago
Get a cheap jet lighter the expensive ones just break down
Mr Roso
12 years ago
Easy - go with Xikar. Robust construction and dependable service.
Philly Jack
12 years ago

Easy - go with Xikar. Robust construction and dependable service.

Mr Roso wrote:


Have two and they are both broke out for repair not worth the coin clogs way more then cheap sub $20 lighters
cacman
12 years ago
Three simple letters:
B I C
works every time and only cost a buck.
triodes
12 years ago
^^

i'm with Edin.

Picked up four of these for about 6/7 each.

Can't beat them.

Learned about them on another thread here at cbid.

Was not even aware of them. I've got three or four lighters that cost more, and work well.

Reach for one of these every time.

Jetline nailed it with the triple flame. Just right, IMO.
triodes
12 years ago
bid 7 on two of them right now, and may well pick them up.
99cobra2881
12 years ago
Doesn't anyone use matches? I love the control I have with a match, cigars just light better with matches, I'm able to toast the foot more evenly and slower. Now out in the wind I carry cheap Ronson jetlites. They take some getting used to and can be a pita but for $4 each it's easy to have several on hand.
Mr Roso
12 years ago

Have two and they are both broke out for repair not worth the coin clogs way more then cheap sub $20 lighters

Philly Jack wrote:



I've never had a problem with Xikar, and there are a few Colibri lighters that are good too. The key is to buy them at a decent price. I've had 'cheap' lighters before and they've always ended up in the trash.
Mr Roso
12 years ago

Doesn't anyone use matches? I love the control I have with a match, cigars just light better with matches, I'm able to toast the foot more evenly and slower.

99cobra2881 wrote:



I love matches too, but smoking outside is a PITA. A good dependable torch always does the job. However, matches and pipes are just ideal and it's just a different experience than a cigar.
knokmdwn
12 years ago

Doesn't anyone use matches? I love the control I have with a match, cigars just light better with matches, I'm able to toast the foot more evenly and slower. Now out in the wind I carry cheap Ronson jetlites. They take some getting used to and can be a pita but for $4 each it's easy to have several on hand.

99cobra2881 wrote:




To the OP - Ronsons are good lighters as long as you don't put Ronson fuel in them. Use a good 5x refined fuel (Vector, Nebo, Xicar and the like), purge them about every other refill and they will work great.

I personally also like the Jetline that Edin posted the link to. Quad torch gets it done quick. I could really give a rats azz about toasting...blah blah blah. After about 2 minutes, nobody ever knows the difference and the cigars tastes the same.
danmdevries
12 years ago
I have a couple jet lighters, nothing too fancy.

I tend to revert back to either a propane or MAPP torch when I'm at home. Whichever one is handy. Have even used oxy/acet torch on a couple occasions where it's already been burning, decided to light a stick.

Might be a bit burnt on initial draw, but soon it makes no difference.
Users browsing this topic