danmdevries
12 years ago

I could really give a rats azz about toasting...blah blah blah. After about 2 minutes, nobody ever knows the difference and the cigars tastes the same.

knokmdwn wrote:



🇨🇮
theboss928
12 years ago
I would recommend a Bugatti as well. I love mine to death and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
hnixon12
12 years ago

Hey all, been a while I know. This may be a n00b question coming from a non-n00b, but I need some advice on selecting a good butane lighter. I have been riding the Ronson train for too long and they seem to be getting less and less reliable. I had one Ronson that lasted me about 1.5 years, but then it got left in a golf cart. The most recent Ronsons seem to just not be up to that previous standard, so I am looking to upgrade. What are your guys' go to torches that are at a reasonable price and where's the best internet site to buy said torches? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Dr. BigC

BigCfor3 wrote:




Jetline New York Quad Lighter........nuff said! thee best IMHO.......
J.Redleg
12 years ago
I picked up a Lotus 200 recently on auction here for $10 ($15ish with shipping) and it is a really nice, solid lighter with a classy look.

I would also recommend the Bugatti B-1 brick. I've had mine for 5 years and it seems to be an unstoppable / dependable lighter. It just doesn't look as pretty as the new Lotus.
dstieger
12 years ago
Went the Ronson route for years. Was a good ride.

Flirted with Colibri for a week while it worked.

My Xikars are pretty, but more form than function. Temperamental at best.

Had two good Jetlines. One for nearly a year. Other for 3-4 months.

But, ever since wikigerbil turned me onto dealextreme, that's all I've used. I bought over a dozen since they were so cheap. But, I still have both the first two in rotation after a couple years because they refuse to break. Huge tanks. Unbelievably reliable. No purging necessary. Ever. Light every single time.

I use this, but I've heard others are as good:

http://dx.com/p/mini-windproof-butane-jet-torch-lighter-black-transparent-230936 
Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago
I always wanted to try cedar spits.

If you do by a xikar, buy two. That way if you need tos end one in to get worked on. You have a backup.

It's a lot to do with the fuel. No less than triple refined. So I'm told.

And butane does go bad.
Just like petrol
Mr Roso
12 years ago

I always wanted to try cedar spits.

Hillbillyjosh770 wrote:



I keep some sheets in my humidors. IMO, they just put up a good show.


It's a lot to do with the fuel. No less than triple refined. So I'm told.
And butane does go bad.
Just like petrol

Hillbillyjosh770 wrote:



Sure does.
Palama
12 years ago

I always wanted to try cedar spits.

If you do by a xikar, buy two. That way if you need tos end one in to get worked on. You have a backup.

It's a lot to do with the fuel. No less than triple refined. So I'm told.

And butane does go bad.
Just like petrol

Hillbillyjosh770 wrote:



What's the average shelf life?
Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago
Not sure. But I did have a can of ronson for a year, lighter wouldn't work. Got a new can... Worked great.
No telling how long that can sat at the store.
boileremt
12 years ago
Colibri Talons are my lighters of choice for cigars. I have had quite a few and they have never failed me. Some I have been using since 2009. I have lost a few and like to keep some stashed in the pole barn, garage, vehicles and my deployment gear, thus I have probably refilled 15 or so. I have never had one fail other than when it is extremely cold out and I have to let the lighter warm up in a pocket. Once the fuel has warmed, the lighter lights up like a champ.
Hillbillyjosh770
12 years ago

Three simple letters:
B I C
works every time and only cost a buck.

cacman wrote:



Always keep one on my pocket for back up. Jets can be ticky.

My bic is a:
Candle in the night
A bottle opener
A hand warmer in the deer stand
Line cutter when fishing
Wire stripper
Bowl packer
That extra inch you need back scratcher
Fist pack
And when it's out I can take of the heat shield to get one more light
When it's dead I can use the spark to still light a prison match.
Legacy
12 years ago

Matches!

Burner02 wrote:



Amen
Buckwheat
12 years ago
I've been a fan of a Zippo with a Torch insert with a BIC/Matches as a backup. Hard to beat the "KISS" of a BIC/Matches.
theboss928
12 years ago
Has anyone tried a Natural flame? I've been looking for a while and i'm looking for a great one btw price isn't an issue either.
Numismaniac
12 years ago
I like the COlibri Wellington's, for a natural flame, and reliability.

Uses flints, and has a big flint wheel, so big arthritic hands have an easier time striking
Numismaniac
12 years ago
Lots of good info here,

I have to agree with many, the cheapies from Dealextreme and lightersdirect can be hard to beat, IF you get the right one.

I've got one from CB that has been working great for 2 years now. I see them on LD, and DE for a few bucks.

I've slowly hoarded a variety of lighters, mostly Colibri and Xikar, all lowball bids that eventually "held", Also picked up an Alec Bradley Table top (I will not disclose any secrets!!!)


Agree with using better butane, and according to which lighter (Colibri or Xikar) you MUST use the proper brand as the seals are "engineered" for different pressures according to brand. That's how they typically get you on the lifetime warranties.

I dealt with this YEARS ago, when I smoked a pipe a bit and had the old Colibri pen type lighters



Legacy
12 years ago


I dealt with this YEARS ago, when I smoked a pipe a bit and had the old Colibri pen type lighters

Numismaniac wrote:



Pipes should always be lit with matches.
DD1700
12 years ago

Went the Ronson route for years. Was a good ride.

Flirted with Colibri for a week while it worked.

My Xikars are pretty, but more form than function. Temperamental at best.

Had two good Jetlines. One for nearly a year. Other for 3-4 months.

But, ever since wikigerbil turned me onto dealextreme, that's all I've used. I bought over a dozen since they were so cheap. But, I still have both the first two in rotation after a couple years because they refuse to break. Huge tanks. Unbelievably reliable. No purging necessary. Ever. Light every single time.

I use this, but I've heard others are as good:

http://dx.com/p/mini-windproof-butane-jet-torch-lighter-black-transparent-230936 

dstieger wrote:


Ordered 3!!!Thanx just what I was looking for!!!
Users browsing this topic