spectresquad
12 years ago
Heck for that kind of money I would look for a local cabinet maker that was slow on work and get a custom built unit exactly as you dreamed of. I would put in 12 volt computer fans and a battery backed up system so in case you live in an area where the power goes out in hurricanes or other storms, your gars will not be hurt. I would also get a better seal on the doors than these have. If I had a place to work I would make these for about 300 bucks over the cost of the wood and glass. let your fingers do the walking and talk to a local cabinet maker.🌫
Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
****, I haven't been part of a cabinet buying adventure in about ten years but I'm not sure you can begin to think about having a custom cabinet of this size for $600. I may very well be wrong though. I could refurb a cabinet I guess
denis007
12 years ago
I cannot imagine you will be able to get a custom cabinet Spanish cedar lined for 600. Maybe I am wrong, but just does not seem possible. Have you ever thought of a wineador Ndill? They have come a long way in the past years, and for your price point you could pick up a sweet one. This would end the climate control guessing game that most of us have with our humidors. That is unless you like the look of a cabinet in which case cool. Regards 🇨🇮
Plowboy221
12 years ago

Oh yeah I am vet familiar with cape! There used to be a decent B&M there that just closed right? Tobacco lane should still be open (no internet sales/no competitor reference). We should herf!

Ndill wrote:



Yeah the one just closed here awhile back, can't remember the name. Yep TL is still open, yeah we'll have to herf sometime.

🇨🇮
shaun341
12 years ago

Heck for that kind of money I would look for a local cabinet maker that was slow on work and get a custom built unit exactly as you dreamed of. I would put in 12 volt computer fans and a battery backed up system so in case you live in an area where the power goes out in hurricanes or other storms, your gars will not be hurt. I would also get a better seal on the doors than these have. If I had a place to work I would make these for about 300 bucks over the cost of the wood and glass. let your fingers do the walking and talk to a local cabinet maker.🌫

spectresquad wrote:




If I were a guessing man materials alone would be near if not over $600. I bought spanish cedar to make my own drawers for a wineador and 2 pieces of of exotic wood and it was $100 delivered. Now granted I had enough SC left over to do a couple extra drawers but it was 4 drawers compared to a complete cabinet. Plus the SC just lines the cabinet so you have the wood to purchase for the entire cabinet, doors, stain, and other odds and ends.

I would not build a cabinet of this type for $300 labor. There is definately more then 2 days work there and that is only getting $150 a day labor not worth it imo.I might think about building it for $600 labor plus materials but anything less is losing money imo.
Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

Yeah the one just closed here awhile back, can't remember the name. Yep TL is still open, yeah we'll have to herf sometime.

🇨🇮

Plowboy221 wrote:


TL has a few places to sit doesn't it? Been a long time since I was in there and I don't remember the selection that well either
Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

I cannot imagine you will be able to get a custom cabinet Spanish cedar lined for 600. Maybe I am wrong, but just does not seem possible. Have you ever thought of a wineador Ndill? They have come a long way in the past years, and for your price point you could pick up a sweet one. This would end the climate control guessing game that most of us have with our humidors. That is unless you like the look of a cabinet in which case cool. Regards 🇨🇮

denis007 wrote:


I do like the look of the towers. All the wineadors I have seen are somewhat small and no much room for boxes
shaun341
12 years ago
Wineador is definately smaller then the cabinets you are looking at. I also wish I went the cabinet route cause of the limited room for boxes. I just bought another wineador just for boxes because of this problem. If temp control is not a problem in your area I would definately go with cabinet over wineador.
Plowboy221
12 years ago

TL has a few places to sit doesn't it? Been a long time since I was in there and I don't remember the selection that well either

Ndill wrote:



I think there's two chairs haha, selection is meh. They never really get any new stuff just your normal
Padron, Opus, Patel, CAO and stuff. I honestly don't go there to often.
Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
Im looking at fans now. Since I am using beads for humidification am I basically stuck buying a oasis even through I do want the humidification aspect. I have heard oust fans...not can find since they are d/c. Computer fans? Any suggestions?
shaun341
12 years ago
I have seen the computer fans used in wineadors alot.
Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

I have seen the computer fans used in wineadors alot.

shaun341 wrote:


Need to find a way to connect the pin system they use to a ac plugin
Big_Bear
12 years ago
I have a tower. I just put a bowl of water at the bottom and a $7 fan from Big Lots. I had an actual humidification device. They are all just fans and water reservoirs. I have 4 lbs of those beads everybody mentions. Just put them in the mesh bags and then sew them up. I didn't like the drawstring approach. It looked like it'd be too easy for beads to escape and make a mess.

Holds great. I may end up putting another fan halfway up. I'd've bought 6 lbs if I had to do it over again.


.
shaun341
12 years ago
I read about that in a thread on puff ndill but electrical stuff 8 not my strong suit to be honest. I can try and find the link for you later.
Big_Bear
12 years ago
Sorry to mislead you. I mean literally a cheap plastic fan standing next to a bowl of distilled water. The only thing electrical is that I plugged it in.
Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

I read about that in a thread on puff ndill but electrical stuff 8 not my strong suit to be honest. I can try and find the link for you later.

shaun341 wrote:


That is where I was reading also. I will look into it a little later tonight or later this week. Basically I think I am going to need a computer fan, a 12v converter, and a timer to cycle the fan every 10-15 min.
Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago
Who here has used Humi-care or cigar oasis electronic humidifiers?
spectresquad
12 years ago
As far as powering the 12 volt computer fans, the only imp[ortant wires are the red(positive) and Black(negative). If you are looking for an AC supply to plug into the wall, go to a second hand store and look in the used electronics, they usually have dozens of ac adapters. Look for one that says 12v 1000ma. This is enough power to easily power 4 12 volt computer case fans. You can get them out of computer cases people throw away. Just twist all the reds together, and all the blacks together, and strip back a bit from the connector of the ac adapter, and try the wires one way and then the other. The fans will only run connected one way. Bam problem solved.🌫 You have no danger of getting shocked at 12v 100ma.
o:)
Ndill
  • Ndill
  • Herf-A-Holic Topic Starter
12 years ago

As far as powering the 12 volt computer fans, the only imp[ortant wires are the red(positive) and Black(negative). If you are looking for an AC supply to plug into the wall, go to a second hand store and look in the used electronics, they usually have dozens of ac adapters. Look for one that says 12v 1000ma. This is enough power to easily power 4 12 volt computer case fans. You can get them out of computer cases people throw away. Just twist all the reds together, and all the blacks together, and strip back a bit from the connector of the ac adapter, and try the wires one way and then the other. The fans will only run connected one way. Bam problem solved.🌫 You have no danger of getting shocked at 12v 100ma.
o:)

spectresquad wrote:



Heck yes! Thank you.....how much heat will the ac supply give off?
bajabound
12 years ago
I spliced a cell phone charger cord to three computer fans and put them on different shelves
Users browsing this topic