Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
Do any of you guys have experience with fishing waders? I have the opportunity this year to do some river fishing that will require waders. I generally buy from Cabelas as I have their credit card and get money back. When I search Men's Waders I get 92 options and have no clue where to start. Generally I want to spend under $120. Thoughts on each of the below:

(noting that I need chest high)
-Thickness
-Insulated/Not-Insulated
-Material
-Types of soles/connected boots
-Cleated/not-cleated
-Anything else I need to consider

If you want to really help out, take a look at the Cabelas site and look at all of the ones under $120 and let me know what you think my best bet is.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago
So about 35 options in that price range and chest high
elRopo
DrafterX
9 years ago
I heard you have to buy the the white ones to be cool.... 😟
RMAN4443
9 years ago

I heard you have to buy the the white ones to be cool.... 😟

DrafterX wrote:


I heard Orange is the New White 🤥 Ok OK I really heard......Orange is the New Black 😊
ZRX1200
9 years ago
Neoprene is my preference as you won't turn into an anchor if you get water in em.
dstieger
9 years ago

Neoprene is my preference as you won't turn into an anchor if you get water in em.

ZRX1200 wrote:




these ARE for Hank
corey sellers
9 years ago
Prayers sent
Just Relax
9 years ago
Get some with shoulders that buckle not just adjust. A belt above the waist is nice too. Chest pockets are also nice. Insulation depends on water temp. The type of boot to get will depend on the river bottom. A rocky bottom with faster current will be slick and big cleats will suck. The cleats will help sinking so much in a real muddy bottom though.

Whatever you get make sure to poke holes in the bottom of the boots though, this will help drain them when moisture is trapped inside.
Hank_The_Tank
9 years ago

Get some with shoulders that buckle not just adjust. A belt above the waist is nice too. Chest pockets are also nice. Insulation depends on water temp. The type of boot to get will depend on the river bottom. A rocky bottom with faster current will be slick and big cleats will suck. The cleats will help sinking so much in a real muddy bottom though.

Whatever you get make sure to poke holes in the bottom of the boots though, this will help drain them when moisture is trapped inside.

Just Relax wrote:



Thanks! Appreciate the legit response.
Just Relax
9 years ago

Thanks! Appreciate the legit response.

Hank_The_Tank wrote:



Yep - don't poke holes in the bottom of the boots.... Thought that would get a laugh.
dkeage
9 years ago

Yep - don't poke holes in the bottom of the boots.... Thought that would get a laugh.

Just Relax wrote:


.....and you went and ruined it....](*,)
corey sellers
9 years ago
I was not going to say anything on that one but it would have been funny
Whistlebritches
9 years ago
I only duck hunt in my waders but absolutely go breathables........You have not experienced swamp azz til you're out on a warm day in a set of neoprene's.
KingoftheCove
9 years ago

Neoprene is my preference as you won't turn into an anchor if you get water in em.

ZRX1200 wrote:


^this...
Unless you're an excellent swimmer, in real good shape, and you know you'll be able to shuck your outfit QUICK should you stumble and fall in the water.
Even experienced guys out here have died on the Chetco and the Rogue.
Whistlebritches
9 years ago

^this...
Unless you're an excellent swimmer, in real good shape, and you know you'll be able to shuck your outfit QUICK should you stumble and fall in the water.
Even experienced guys out here have died on the Chetco and the Rogue.

KingoftheCove wrote:



I suppose my water skills are still extraordinary.......I usually swim the length of our local lake,3 miles,at least 2-3 times a year.
ZRX1200
9 years ago
Try doing it with an extra 150lbs and a current.
ZRX1200
9 years ago
I've seen dead bodies with the plain rubber waders rush past my fishing spot. Twice.
KingoftheCove
9 years ago

I suppose my water skills are still extraordinary.......I usually swim the length of our local lake,3 miles,at least 2-3 times a year.

Whistlebritches wrote:


Breathables with a belt or two, and a PFD.............prolly fine.
Still, if there's current, cold water, dicey bottom?............neoprene for me.

Anyone wearing those old school rubber units is a fool.
In fact I believe the guy who drowned here recently was wearing just that sort of getup. And he was standing in 2 or 3 feet of water............initially.
Users browsing this topic